ZBrushCentral

FBX Camera Import

Hello!

I am in the process of sculpting landscape for a shot. We need the sculpt to look great in said shot, and I was hoping to import the camera from Maya into Zbrush.
However when I do, I feel like the camera is in a wildly different location than it is in Maya. The shot just doesnt line up at all.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Or is this just not a feature that is possible within Zbrush?

Thanks so much!

Hello @Prophecies

I’m sorry no one has responded to your issue already! I don’t have a lot of practical experience yet with the new universal camera feature, so I was discussing it with some other people.

Simple things to check first:

• Is the proper camera selected from the list in the Draw palette?
  • Does the Zbrush document size match the output dimensions of the camera in the other application?

It was suggested to me that creating a camera with an extreme angle could potentially cause a mismatch. Try setting up a different camera with a simple angle to see if your issue is related to that specific camera.

Finally, try creating the camera in Zbrush first and importing it to Maya. The Zbrush > Maya export should work. Tweak the cam as desired in Maya, and then try exporting it back to Zbrush to see if that works for you.

OHHHH, does the document size have to match the resolution/aspect ratio of the camera in the software the camera came from? For example, maya.

If so that makes complete sense, I hadn’t thought about that. My document size is pretty arbitrary and set to fit my monitor. I’ll try this out.

Thanks for your help!

Be sure to read the documentation for the Universal Camera feature. It contains important information you need to know.

Maybe for Maya it works some times… its been year since the Universal camera was introduced and its got no support to being able to import export a camera from Blender into Zbrush and back.

I have to agree, Blender to Zbrush and back via FBX is hopelessly broken. It seems to be impossible to get cameras from blender into zbrush and have everything match up properly. Can someone at Pixologic please fix this ?