ZBrushCentral

face to face,eyes to eyes.

Because everyone here is an artist, and we know how difficult is to manually sculpt realistic clothes an folds. I handle scan data in my daily work, and to me this really looks like a cleaned up scan.
If not, hats off, but until I see some proof that this is handmade, I call it scan.

may I ask kindly how many polys sr ? I’m quite curious

I use both scan data and cloth simulation in my workflow. Both are very useful in terms of achieving better realism and faster workflow.

They are tools, just like a camera is a tool. The artist still needs to art direct the human models, define the composition and ultimately there is A TON of work involved when using scans and cloth simulation. Cloth simulation includes knowledge of pattern making and sewing which isn’t trivial…

Sure camera is a tool, but if the intention is to create a painting then a hand painted painting that looks as real as a photo in every detail is appreciated much more than a simple photo. It is common sense.

If the intention is to create a sculpture then something that is hand sculpted rather than scanned is also appreciated much more than a 3d scan or a model bought from a 3d store. That is also common sense.

Surely you can appreciate something hand made compared to something already 80% done like a 3d scan. Sure there is still lot of art direction work needed and lot of clean up work needed. But cleaned up scan data work is no where near to the amount of work required in a completely hand sculpted model specially when the result is almost as good as this.

A photo can be appreciated quite a bit but when someone hand paints something almost as real as a photo just by using his hand and brush then it is generally appreciated ten folds. It is just common sense I believe.

If that was not the case we could just buy 3d scan off of a store, clean it up and call it just another tool set in our arsenal. Why stop there, why not just buy the entire work from another artist such as commissioning it from them and do some minor art direction and then take full credit of the work via legal contract.

I don’t quite understand why we need to rank the merits of work on this forum based on how much hand work was done or not. Zbrush is a tool used by lots of different people and artists.

Technology allows an artist to incorporate the human form via a 3D scan and then also use cloth simulation to create clothing that has physics much more realistic than anything capable manually.

It depends on what the ultimate goal is. If the assignment calls for hyper-realism than using these tools is crucial.

I just don’t understand the stigma that 3D scanning seems to have on this forum. I suppose I liken it to painters discounting photographers as not being “artistic” enough.

The definition of art is broad and if the end result is aesthetically pleasing and has a real emotional impact on the viewer than I consider that a success.

It’s on the TOP ROW, that’s the problem, I think.

Why is this being on the Top Row a problem? If the final result is impressive looking, why not?

I like the emotional quality of this piece.

Excelllent job.

Fantastic work! it really deserved the Top Row, congratulations.

Just a quick comment on the question of how we merit this work on the basis of whether some significant portion of it is scanned:

Even if the clothes are scanned as has been alleged, I think most will agree that it is still a beautiful piece of art, just as we would appreciate a beautiful and well crafted photo. However, a few exceptions aside, the general focus of this software and it’s users is on creating hand-crafted digital sculptures, and all here tend to scrutinize and appreciate each piece that get’s posted on the basis of that assumed practice, especially when an image is attributed the honor of top-row. Consequently, many here will likely feel duped and mislead if it turns out that scan data has played a major role in producing a portion of a model that has gone top row when the kind of details it contributes would normally be hand-sculpted , at least if it has not been stated up front that that is the case. If this were a site dedicated to the art of cleaning up scan data - there would be no controversy;)

This!

Now this is impressive ;D Scan or not! The art of getting in scan data in an cleaning it up is just as impressive. EVEN it was done in marvelous designer… Goood Job dude!

amazing***65281; well done !!

This is great work! But some people here seem to have a hangup on the process of how it was made, as if there was some kind of unwritten art law that has been broken. This is just ridiculous. Every artwork stands on its own merit regardless of how it was made. And any artist who opts to not use the most effective means to achieve his goal in favor of a process whose only perceived merit is that it is “pure” or difficult to do, is making things unnecessarily hard on themselves.

It reminds me of the little statement that used to be in the credits of every Queen album that said “No synthesizers were used”. Maybe not, but at the same time they were doing their best to get synthesizer-ish sounds by other means. Eventually, they saw how ridiculous this was and dropped their ban on synthesizers.

As artists, we are always looking for new and better ways to express and do justice to our ideas. When a tool/ technique comes along that is promising we would be fools not to use it. There are no rules in art, except for one: “Thou shalt not plagiarize”. And as long as that is avoided ANYTHING goes!