ZBrushCentral

Error importing .ma file from Maya

Hi guys,
Ok, as i’m a total newbie, I can’t fathom this out…

I created a shield in Maya and saved it as a .ma file and an obj.
The obj loads fine into ZBC, but the .ma creates the error “Missing vertex XYZ data. Operation cancelled.”

What do I need to do to the mesh in Maya to make it open.

I can see GoZ being helpful so this is another pull towards the full version of ZB!! :grinning:

Thanks SK

hi @simonbad-fox.

which version of maya did you used to save you *.ma file ?
I don’t have ZBCore, just the full version, if you can pac you ma file and upload it there i could try to load it and check the file if those missing vertex data is properly saved into the file.

hope it helps!
Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

I’ve attached the file. It was from the latest Maya version. I have an education subscription. Again i’m learning that too so may well have not saved it correctly!

Regards

SKShield.zip (2.9 KB)

ok so after loading, i get the same message in full ZBrush version
it looks like you put a primitive in Maya and did the export selected to *.ma file. saving simply the scene will not resolve the issue.
The problem is that your ma file only contain a primitive shape , that only Maya can read the vertex data.
So to resolve the issue you must :

1. select your shield model ( the transform node, which is the parent of the shape(where the geometry is stored))
  2. go in edit > delete all by type > history, then export again as *.ma file
  3. then keep that same selection, and file > export selection > *.ma file…
  4. load in ZBrush it gonna work, cause now you have readable vertex data :slight_smile:

then now try to import the file again it should works .

Hope it helps!
Nicolas

1 Like

Ah Nicolas - you are a star!
Cheers buddy, now I need to go and watch a few decent Maya tutorials …

Thanks for your time!!

SK

1 Like