ZBrushCentral

Elephorse - Lookdev

Hey Everyone

Happy to finally share what appears to be the final lookdev of my last creature : the Elephorse !

I wanted this project to be in the continuity of the Gorillon, like both could be living on the same planet. Though the Elephorse lives more in a tropical environment. Quite a peacefull creature but due to her size she has really few predators.
The color really gave me a hard time. I had too many different references and for a long time too many colors that didn’t go well together. Many told me to lose the dots as they didn’t go alongside the rest of the creature. But without them she was a bit boring, plus i always like a good challenge !
But after weeks of struggling and paint overs, i finally reached what i consider to be a good balance between all the scales and the differents colors. There is abviously still a lot of room for improvement. I made quite a few mistakes. But it is a big step-up from my previous creature, and i am hoping that the next one will be even better ! The texturing was made in Mari with the TexturingXYZ maps, the sculpt was done in Zbrush and the lookdev in Maya and Arnold. This time i used 6 UDIMS. As i consider it to be a good compromise between resolution and simplicity of the workflow.
I will probably do a Breakdown to explain a bit more about myworkflow and how i managed to deal with all the colors.

Hope you like it !

2 Likes

You’ve done a fine job at both sculpting and texturing @Nicolas_MOREL :+1: however, this Elephorse looks lonely without a bunch of friends, like a Rhinopotamus, a Peliostrich and a Crocbufalo… :joy: Keep’em coming!
Jaime