ZBrushCentral

Dynamesh specyfic resoultion problem

Hi guys,

I currently work on my own new concept of dragon and I have a “small” problem with the resoultion. I know that Dynamesh work depends of the mesh size and resolution projection but my question is how to go to the another step of sculpting super high resolution details if I cannot get better resolution with the Dynamesh? I already have 4096 but I need to be able to continue work on the eyes and rest parts of my model to achieve super high details. Then I plan to work on structure of the skin and etc…but it will be the second step once I will make perfect detalied shape of the creature.
I did Zremesh and used Decimation Master to get new mesh and start to work with Dynamesh again but it does not help me… the mesh still looks like before and I afraid that I have to divide the model to 11mln or etc…and work out of the Dynamesh…then divide again… Zremesher and again… or…???
Any ideas guys? Thank you

Hiya @degaux !

Dynamesh works best at medium to medium-high polycounts. Eventually you’ll reach a point where it simply takes too long to remesh at high enough resolution to hold very fine surface detail.

Frequent dynameshing is required if you’re creating your basic form in Zbrush, and will end up drastically stretching polygons as you work. Once you’ve got your basic form established though and just need to work on surface detail, you wont be stretching the polygons nearly as much, and should not require frequent remeshing.

So if you need that sort of detail, at some point you’ll want to turn your mesh into a more traditional tool with multiple levels of subdivision, and subdivide up to the required level to hold the new detail. You can remesh your subtool (or a duplicate, preferably) with Zremesher into a new low poly mesh. You’ll lose detail doing this, but that’s ok. You can project the detail from the original onto the duplicate, after it has been subdivided sufficiently to hold that detail.

Now you will have a traditional tool with multiple levels of subdivision that you can switch back and forth freely between, and sculpt on high rez detail at the highest levels of subdivision.

Feel free to ask any more specific questions you have about the process.

Hi Spynder :smile:

Thank you very much for your answer. I afraid that I will have to get the “classic” wark flow after the Dynamesh is not going to allow me to go deep to to the details.

I just remember that I actually done it in Zbrush R8_2 by accident and the dynamesh had been working any time I pressed the CTRL button… I do not know how it was possible…Anyway, thanks a lot once again! :slight_smile:

Oh, I can tell you how to squeeze more resolution out of Dynamesher if you like. If you increase the size of your mesh, you increase it’s potential for dynamesh resolution. But you’ll still hit a practical limit on your system where it’s no longer worth the time it takes to process.

Dynamesh was intended to give you some flexibility as to when to enter a classic multiple subdivision level workflow, but it wasn’t meant to replace it. It is still beneficial and necessary in many cases. Working on a low poly base with multiple subdivision levels gives you a lot of sculpting flexibility, as it’s easier to do certain things at lower poly level than at high poly, and vice versa. It is very helpful to be able to switch between levels on the fly when sculpting, and if you plan on creating texture maps for a low poly version of the mesh for use in other programs, multiple subD levels are pretty much required.

Hi :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for the advice ! I will try to follow it and find out what is the best idea for me and how I can make the work comfortable . I actually have done some creatures and props before but this time my goal is to do huge progress with the quality and I would like to achive the level like those three from Games of Thrones - which means I need to create each one of the dragon’s husk with perfect details on. Also, I am going to make textures but I do not want to work with procedural one as it won’t force me to put maximum effort to sculpting process. I probably do not want to rigg it and animate ( there was a plan ) so in this case I do not have to be too much crazy about the retopology I guess.

Thanks once again! :slight_smile: Once I will finish my dragon I will show you to ask for some feedback if I may of course!

Here is the progress of my dragon modelling :

https://degaux.wixsite.com/mysite-1/sculpting

Hi DGO

I had a similar problem getting fine details from an alpha map. I ended up doing a pretty dense dyna mesh then using zeremesh with detect edges. Mine was more techno but with an organic model like yours you might try using the zmodeler brush to draw loops around the eyes and some guides and slide the curves strength in Zremesh to 100 percent. You might be able to generate polygroups for the eyes that you can preserve, hide , make loops around etc.

Also after zremesh you have more organic topology you could try masking out to make poly groups from that as well. Zeremesher I fould out has a button to keep poly groups intact so you could play with maxing out zeremesh. It doesn’t go anywhere near as dense as Dynamesh but it might go high enough!

Thanks Zakcat! I was thinking about that too. I am going to check it once I will finish with some additional parts I missed. I listened to Dan Katcher as he has shown some interesting techniques of how to create the dragon and after that I decided to do some more steps and then start the process I mentioned here. Thanks a lot once again mate ! :slight_smile:

I wasn’t sure who Dan Katcher is but now do! I downoloaded a couple of his lectures to watch later. Good Luck!