ZBrushCentral

Dotted Line Standard Brush

Hello everyone,

I’m new to zBrush and I’m having trouble with it.
I’m using dynamesh on a rather simple model and all my lines are kinda dotty (image below):

I tried everything I saw online (from turning off Lazy Mouse to tweaking Roll Dist)
Does anybody know how to get smoother lines (I tested with my mouse as well and the lines is also dotty)

Thank you in advance

Hi @ottoneres

In “Stroke > Lazy Mouse”, lower LazyStep setting. Default is 0.25 but you can go lower.

I did that, but should I expect a super smooth stroke? Completely undotted?

There might be other settings left over that you made to the brush. You should reset the brush you’re using to get all it’s default settings back. Select the brush giving you problems and at the bottom of the Brush palette, click “Reset Current Brush”.

Try to post a better screenshot showing the problem closer up.

2020-03-28%2019_59_15-ZBrush

Okay, so, I reset all the brushes
It got a bit better I must admit, BUT

When I rotate my object, at some angles, I can still see a lot of “dots” in the stroke. E.g.

You might be moving the stroke too quick. Try slowing down and see if that helps. Also, keep in mind that you’re not going to get good resolution on your mesh by using DynaMesh. The better way would be to get good topology and then Subdivide for more detail.

1 Like

Mmm, that made sense. I tried opening other projects (this one I posted is actually from a tutorial on YouTube) and I haven’t had any problems so far.

this is the mesh we end up having following the tutorial instructions, so subdividing it gets weird

I was sculpting it with a standard brush with Alt pressed (subtracting instead of adding stuff), the guy from the tutorial had his own brush which he probably sells on his website. Could that be the problem I’m having?

That’s not good topology for ZBrush. ZBrush likes square polygons. There isn’t a lot of square polygons in that mesh. Also, keep in mind that you are using a Matcap material (MatCap Red Wax) which might make your strokes look worse than what they actually are.

Also, if you want straighter lines, check into the Backtrack feature under Lazy Mouse. Backtrack allows you to go over the same stroke several times which would smoothen it out. See the following video to get an idea of it’s use.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I believe it’s the weird topology. I tried the tutorial because I thought it was weird to take such topology into ZBrush, but you know, every day is a school day. So I was trying to do it, but yeah, better find something else.