ZBrushCentral

Do I really need to retopo in Maya if Zremesher did a good job?

Hello all,

Beginner here, after finishing a bust sculpt I used the Zremesh guide brush and Zremeshed it and the topology looks pretty good to me.

Do I still have to retopo in Maya? It looks like I will be very minor differences if I do but since I am a beginner I am not completely sure.

Thank you!

Hello @Samsam2020

You can retopo with any tool you are comfortable with. Whether this is necessary, or the degree to which it is necessary will depend on your output aims. Someone working for 3d print may not retopo at all and simply Decimate their mesh. Someone working for a static digital render in an external program might be completely content with a ZRemeshed mesh.

The exception is for when working for animation. Animation, either in a game or cinematic , requires very deliberate, efficient topology. Automatic retopology solutions may not suffice here, and may require very deliberate manual retopology. It may require entirely different topology from what works best in ZBrush for sculpting and painting!

To answer your question though, if your current topology achieves good enough results for what you are trying to do, then no.

Also be aware this is the 2020 subforum. In the future, you’ll want to make sure to post your questions in the main Questions forum so they dont get missed.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you!