ZBrushCentral

Did You Know That (ZBrush 3.5)

Hello Everyone

Thank you for all the kind words about the start of this thread. I’m glad that it has helped out so many artist. In response to Sigmund Hentze I have made a video that goes through all the Multi Displacement options in ZBrush in order to create a displacement that will be used in Maya. This is only the ZBrush side of the video, Maya side soon to come.

[veoh]v154904889t4qQ8EW[/veoh]

Video can also be found on YouTube at the following link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuLMnRdeahg

Thank you for watching

Paul

DidYouKnowThat.jpg

great breakdown on the settings for a displacement map I have done so many displacement maps and never really understood the things I was adjusting and what not, but thanks this is great.

This can go a long way in helping people design freely and not worry about stuff. :+1:

Great stuff Paul. Thanks for pointing out that you can use Adaptive with Mulit-Displacement 3! These are short, to the point and informative. Can’t wait to see more. :slight_smile:

Ryan

Awesome tuts man. I’m looking forward to the maya part of the displacement :+1:

hey Paul this is awesome stuff. Thank you so much :+1:

Hey wow this is great! thanks for sharing!

Nice Tut Paul,

I have a tip for Maya users when it comes to rendering displacement maps. I found a good thing to do is to click on the SmoothUV Button (Tool:Displacement:SmoothUV) if you are smoothing the UVs in Maya. This can help with creating Image maps as there will be less distortion in the Displacement/bump maps.

Although I’m a little stumped when it comes to Smoothing the actual Tool UVs in Zbrush. The SUV (Too:Geometry:SUV) doesn’t seem to do anything to the geometry’s UVs.

MX

So glad you’re covering displacements in Maya!! I tried several times in the past to get a displacement from a zbrush mesh into Maya and every time i ended up abandoning it in defeat. I love maya but when it comes to displacement it seems to me the most unintuitive, overly technical, un-user-friendly program ive seen. I mean why make changes to the object scale affect the displacement’s intensity and therefore all the values need readjusting?!

I’ve followed video tuts for displacement Zbrush > Maya before. The guy in the video gets a flawless result, i get a total mess…

So yeah very much look forward to the Maya half, maybe you’ll open my eyes.

Really useful tutorials featuring techniques I haven’t seen covered anywhere else.Thanks for posting.

Such great info I just had to post a “thank you” for the great thread. :+1:

Ok,i’m back with my question,i wasnt able to reply these days,sorry for that.Forget all what i said,the retopo and polypainting things,now i made a really simple model for a test.It was made entirely in zbrush and it has 6 subdivisions.What i want to do is export the first subdivision level in max,unwrap it and then replace the 1st subdivision level with the unwrapped one in zbrush.After i unwrapped the model,i imported it as the 1st subd level of my model but starting with the 2nd level,i get an exploding mesh :frowning: It’s been giving me lots of headeaches,in theory it should work but i cant see where my trouble comes from.But since images speak best,here you go:
This is the first level of subdivision

[attach=108431]ret-test-lp.jpg[/attach]

This is the 6th level of subdivision

[attach=108432]ret-test-hp.jpg[/attach]

After exporting the 1st level and unwrapping it in max,i import it back in zbrush as the new first level but things go wrong,since starting with the 2nd level the model looks smth like this:

[attach=108434]ret-test-lp-unw-2s.jpg[/attach]

And if someone is kind enough to have a look on my model and try to quickly unwrap the first level of subdivision and replace the old one,i’ve posted the obj files.I really cant see what i’m doing wrong,i’ve looked over this thread and i’m following it precisely,except for the fact that i use max for unwrapping.Maybe i should’ve asked there so i wouldnt disturb this thread,but i just had to come back here to reply :slight_smile: So,on a general level,what is the typical workflow you should use if you want to model entirely in zbrush and do the unwrapping in an external program?Modelling a basemesh in another program is out of the question for now :slight_smile: Great thread,btw :slight_smile:

Attachments

ret-test-lp.jpg

ret-test-hp.jpg

ret-test-lp-unw-2s.jpg

Ok

Here we go. I tried this in Maya and I had no explosion. I do not use 3DS MAX but I made some calls. Make sure you are not changing any vert points. Here are three ways that may solve your problem.

Way 1

1.Import onto the lowest subdivision level
2.Import it again on to the lowest subdivision level

Way 2

1. When in 3DSMAX reset your transform and make sure none of your normals are flipped.
    2.Import onto lowest sublevel

Way 3

1.Delete all the highest sublevels so all you have is the LP
2.Take to 3DSMAX and unwrap
3.Import that obj into ZBrush
4.Append the ZTL of the detailed work to the just imported obj
5.Subdivide the obj to a level close to the ZTL
6.Make sure both subtools are on and only those two
7.Click Project all

See if any of these solve your problem. If they do let me know which one and if it does not, I am still researching.

Paul

By the way thank you for the kind words. I’m glad this has helped so many people.

Ok Everyone

These are the next two videos that go along with the displacement video I put up. The first will walk you through the settings of ZMapper and create a Normal Map to be used in Maya.

The Second video is using ZMapper to create a Cavity Map that will be used in the Diffuse Channel of the shader in Maya.

I will have the Maya part up soon, I just wanted to give you all the ZBrush videos first. Enjoy :slight_smile:

NORMAL MAPS

[veoh]v15495613STErn88Q[/veoh]

This is also available on YouTube at the following link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYj-UHpgFq4

CAVITY MAPS

[veoh]v15496777mrQqDYqa[/veoh]

This is also available on YouTube at the following link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMuhHKRPs6A

THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE THAT HAS VISITED THIS THREAD AND IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK.

Paul

[DidYouKnowThat.jpg]

Great Post Gabo!

Keep em coming these are very helpful! :+1: :+1: Thanks!

Cheers!

Gabo: thank you for these video tutorials! Keep it up!! :slight_smile:

ne0lith: This issue is due to vertex order which change inside Max. It seems that Max 2009 new OBJ exporter generate this problem, depending of some parameters. I’m on it myself since I have this problem too. It’s not a ZBrush problem and you will find other threads here about this problem. I just install Max SP1 and I will check if it solve the problem.
I think it may be good for you to post in another thread about this problem since it’s not really related to a “Did you know that” subject :slight_smile:

Hi Paul, thanks for the great tuts, one question, seeing as for some crazy reason we in Africa can’t view Veoh, is there maybe somewhere we can download a higher res version on them as the You Tube quality is rather poor…

Many thanks and keep it up…

Ziggy.

@gabo:The third way worked like a charm,i cant thank you enough :slight_smile: And thank you for the whole thread,in fact,it’s very kind of you to provide these very informative videos.
@Totyo:Yeah,i should’ve asked this in another thread,but i’m glad i got it all solved.Btw,i’m working in 3dsmax8 for now.But i’ll try headus UVLayout too,just to see how it goes.
I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure :slight_smile:

This issue is due to vertex order which change inside Max. It seems that Max 2009 new OBJ exporter generate this problem, depending of some parameters.
Cant believe 3DMax hasn’t adressed this even with version 2009 as you seem to suggest! It’s a nightmare here at work when you want to do anything in max to be brought back into a zbrush file… I only recently got UVLayout at my post, so no more need to go through max for UVs. UVLayout has been the perfect companion to Zbrush in my own personal workflow at home, as it doesn’t seem to change anything in a model but the UVs, doesn’t even touch the scale or anything!

Sigmund

I do not a place to download the high res version yet, but I will work on it.

Paul