ZBrushCentral

Demon Devil Dude

I think it looks OK, which light did you use? I like mine, I found Pixolator’s to be a little over the top. Shadows ON should be fine, the main issue may be the full on side shot. I usually post a front/back/side, but always have a cool angled shot to give a sense of features. Using other apps are cool if your up on a specific favorite, and by all means learn all you can. Best advice for that is pick 1, set up a basic scene and good 3 point lighting and choose a decent material or mod one of the defaults. Then pull all your work in to that scene, test render and then mess around as you see fit. Keep the master scene though, it will always give you a base to start from.

In my case I have lots of shaders borrowed/written/modded that I can slap on in Maya with Liquid and test under Pixie. Of course since I’ve done so much of that I can usually do what I need in Zbrush, but it’s nice to goto other apps that handle pixel depth issues better.

The way is long and twisted, with plenty of disturbing eye candy, and the fruit never seem as tasty as it appeared. :wink:

Don’t mess with displacement maps and normals maps if you can avoid it. If your program can handle tons of polys without that much slowdown just bring in the full mesh! Displacement and normals maps are generally a pain to set up in most programs.

JASON: Funny that you like it, I used yours. I guess your eye is accustomed to your own tastes. I appreciate the heads up on the next steps, and suggestions in the rendering process. (So very, very, much more to learn for me,) But, I have come this far, and I didn’t go insane…yet. Thanks for the in-depth help. Shows the true spirit of this forum to a “T”! Thanx Jason.

WOMBAL: Thanks also for the links. Ok,…I will take you at your word with the suggestion about displacements and normal maps. I appreciate the support, and camaraderie as well from you. Great guys, all of you.

NOTE:I have Maya, Lightwave, and Modo. But… know next to nothing about any of them. Been so caught up with Zbrush and trying to wrap my head around it all. REMEMBER, I AM NOT A CG GUY BY TRADE. Do either of you or anyone else for that matter, have a preference to recommend? For rendering…I suppose everyone has their own preferences?So many choices…right? Hey, and is XSI any better than any of the others?

Ok, it’s 1:45 am here in beautiful Prague. Signing off for the night…but anxiously await any further advice by those in the know.

Will post and reply to all in the AM. “Nity-nite” y’all.

Here is a close up with an interisting material supplied by Artwookie. (Thanks)
~BWB.Wade Demon V.4 close up.jpg

They can all do the same thing. Yet somewhat differently. It all depends on the interface and how quickly you can learn it. I think XSI has a very clean interface and generally makes sense. But this might not be the case for you. I also think this about Blender, and a lot of people are turned off by Blender. Lightwave is similar to Modo I hear. Modo was developed by ex-Lightwave deleloper I believe.

Womball,

Thanks for the overview. It seems like it is a matter of taste that can only be found by trying a program and comparing it to another. Nice anatomy models on your thread, by the way. I think I saw a video on a thread of some guy demo-ing an anatomy software that was kind of interisting. Maybe it was on your thread. Cheers again mate.
~BW~

I agree with previous postings, this is a great transition from “real world” sculpts to 3D. You have retained the quality from the original:+1:

TD

TD,Thanks, really.

To all, I have spent most of today, Sunday here, trying to familiarize myself with Maya, and Mental ray.
I am having difficulty importing larger models into Maya. Any tips?

I know there’s a thread here somewhere with some info on the process, any links, advice, suggestions, material and light stuff, c and c’s are truly appreciated.

~BW

http://www.digitaltutors.com/digital_tutors/index.php

They have a lot of tutorials that you can view free, but you have to register there. Very clear and precise too.

http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/education/documentation/guides.php

And with maya you will need to use displacement maps and normal maps to bring your model in. You use the lowest or second to lowest(might be easier for you) and create your displacement map at that level in zbrush. You will need to use guv tiles as well to set up to export the displacement and normal maps. Also you will have to color in zbrush and use zapplink using this method because the guv tiles are hard to read as texture maps for a person. The programs seem to be okay with it though.

Womball,

Howly-cow!!! All that for a darn render???
Is it easier to import large models in Lightwave or Modo, or SXI, or any other program for that matter???

Basically, is their any program that will just import the model, regardless of it’s size??? Or is this all old news??

~BW~

Supposedly XSI can handle it, lightwave might be able to handle it, modo should because of the displacement painter, and perhaps Maya 8.0 can handle it. I know blender can safely handle 1 million + polys, not sure how much more, since that’s how large my scene ended up.

I have a litlle app around here that would convert it to a RIB file. The you use Maya to set up the scene, and export with Liquid to render in whathaveyou like Pixie. You never have to import the big stuff, the renderer gets to do all the dirty work. Problem is I’ve never written it for Windows or Linux, sorry.

I’ve heard Modo and XSI can handle the larger stuff, depending on your hardware I’m sure. :wink:

Womball,

That’s a pretty good heads up. I was trying to get this critter into Maya 8.0 but it wouldnt even export? That didn’t seem right…so I had to just play around with a smaller model.

I thought it was just the “Demon Devil Dude” model. I can’t really tell how big it is, because in the Tools Pallette, when I curser over the tool it says: Spheres=35471714

Jason, Thanks for the additional information, and thinking about me anyway with the app to convirt to RIB. So, your a “Mac-Daddy”, eh? I’m still a PC guy :confused:

Guys, I really appreciate the low-down on which programs you think should be able to handle larger files.:+1:

I will keep trying. Maybe it is my hardware,:angry: !!

Thanks guys, for some educated insights into this.
~BW

Good Morning fello Zbrushers,

Anybody have any different Materials and/or Lighting setups that I can try out? I would love to try some different looks out:)

Always appreciated…

~BW

here is a link where you can download 50 shaders !

http://highend3d.com/zbrush/downloads/materials/4345.html

Here you will find some different materials/lights that should look rather interesting on your sculpts.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=21627

NCollings and Jason,

Thanks for the plethora of materials. Lot’s to explore now.
I have been trying to install Materials Pack 2 as well, with not much success.

~BW

looking good mr.monster! i like where this is heading… thanks for the comment on my page too!

will keep posted on this one.

Hi, Mr.Monster!
Greate fresh rendering tutorial:
http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/3d__and__animation/the_art_of_realism

baker17, Good to see you here. Glad you like it so far…We will just have to see how it ends up :wink:

Dmitry_P, Hey, good hearing from you! Thank you very much for the link:+1:
How is the weather in the Ukraine this time of year??

Thanks guys.

Anyone else have any Materials, shaders, lights, or rendering tips out there?

As always, open to C and C’s. It’s good to hear your thoughts and tips.
~BW