ZBrushCentral

dAnconia's Sketchpad

Alright, so i flattened the feet and it made a world of difference. The front feet need to be flattened a little bit more. Going to start finalizing the back legs tomorrow.

Thanks for all the critiques. They help more than anything.

Comms and Crits are always appreciated.

[2V copy.jpg]

I’m liking it a lot better now. Feels more balanced.

Here’s a little photoshop mock-up I made showing how I would go about finishing up the legs, I hope you don’t mind:

Here is an up

Really really liking where this is going. Greatly appreciate all the comments and crits.

Its so helpful to have some fresh eyes taking a look.

Have a great day and C and C is most welcome!!!

[2V copy.jpg]

I think that about does it when it comes to structural flaws. The rest is dependent upon where you take it artistically.

Didnt have much time tonight but heres what i got. Gonna go back down a sub d level and work on it a bit more and go through Alex’s sketchbook and get some inspiration.

I am gonna have to paint over this in Photoshop for a few days and see what works and what doesnt. Also gotta rewatch the Intro to ZBrush dvd with Meats Meir and find the lesson that explains how to apply a texture all over the body with a simple drag and drop so i can put some scales on it.

Comms and Crits are always welcomed

[2V copy.jpg]

I also use the red clay, the fast shader as well. From time to time I switch to a fancy one just to see how the model looks like.

Here’s an up.

Worked on the lower sub d levels for a few days. Just started this tonight and it is so much easier. I hardly have to build up any areas.

Let me know what you think!

[2V copy.jpg]

Here are some great links. Great reference for anatomy.

Anatomy
Creature anatomy

http://www.reybustos.com/04er/er.html
http://www.reybustos.com/07i/i.html

Good to see more work.

A few critiques, however. Some of the details in the profile look a little skeletal, like they’re defining the underlying the skeletal form, which doesn’t seem quite right for thick legs. I’d also say that, as you seem to be aware of, the forms don’t have much form. It seems like the muscles flow properly, but they are sort of sketched in without much real mass.

Otherwise, things are looking very good. The knee details in particular are very well captured, and the armor plates on the front legs are a nice touch.

Twitch: Thanks. Ill try to take the shapes further. I actually toned down what i did in the beginning. i guess i should have kept it.

Are you saying that the bone structure of this creature is too pronounced?

Ill definitely try building these shaped up more.

To me it looks like there are bones pressed up against the flesh. Perhaps this would occur in this sort of creature, or perhaps it is a stylistic choice, but it’s just something that I saw that concerned me.

Heres an up!

Thanks for the advice Twitch.

I went down a level and deleted the levels above and went back at it. Im going to start another project so i dont get too obsessed with this one.

I also have to put in all the claws and the nose horn.

Oh and I discovered the Smart Resym button. My new favorite feature in ZB

[2V copy.jpg]

Deleting the higher subD levels and then redividing is indeed a great tool to retain your basic forms, but eliminate details that didn’t work out. Smart resym tends to destroy anything I use it on though.

The sculpt is looking strong, but it is a good idea to not get too obsessed with any one model. I still do though.

Hurricane Ike sucks and Zbrush Rocks. Just got my power back on around 12pm and hooked everything back up and started sculpting. Thanks to all the repairmen. Thanks to you im doing what i love again after just 48 hrs from the hurricane’s pass.

I hope that Galveston gets back on line as quickly as possible.

Something else i am sculpting from a Frazetta painting. Got this done in about 4 hours.

[Gnome3.jpg]

Sucks about the hurricane, but the model is looking good so far.

Twitch: I usually sleep through hurricanes and keep and ear out for hail. Lot of cleaning up to do. We have the perfect weather for not having electricity.

Here is another update on Open Wide by Frazetta

[Gnome4.jpg]

It’s coming along well. I’d have a look at the pelvis, pectoralis minor area, and the elbow fold. I really don’t like calling it an elbow fold, but I’ll be damned if I can find it’s proper name. You know what I mean though, right? Where the elbow folds?

I have been spending a lot of time on my sketching skills. Read someones comment that if you cant draw it then you cant sculpt it. Im paraphrasing of course. It made a lot of sense so i went and bought Bridgmans Complete Guide to Drawing From Life. Watched a Gnomon Video: Sculpting a Femme Fatale and the instructor recommended it.

Just finished the head part of the book and it has definitely helped.

[CharacterStrip.jpg]

Update

[CharacterStrip1.jpg]

I really like the new head sculpt. It is proportionally quite solid and your comfort with the tools shows. However, you had to know I wouldn’t let you off without a critique. I drew in some changes here:

[attach=112931]dmockupfj6.jpg[/attach]

To reinforce the drawing, The neck needs a bit of work. It’s too sloping. Yes, there are muscles which create that triangular shape, but you can’t let the strong pillar of the neck get lost in there. I was taught in the workshop to just make the nech a pillar, and then add in the muscles later. That way, the main structure is much less likely to get lost. I’d also take a look at the sternomastoid. It’s the main muscle of the neck, so getting that right is vital. Yours seems to insert under the chin, whereas it should be going around the chin and inserting under the ear. Also note the shape of the suprasternal notch. It is also a very characteristic shape which you should be careful to properly define. Another point I want to make that isn’t shown in the drawing is that the adam’s apple extends out a bit too far for my taste.

Moving onto the face I have little to critique, it looks quite right. I did think that the forehead could protrude a little farther, though that will differ from person to person. I would also like to see more volume and curvature to the eyelids. I think that will not only help sell the sculpt, but also give it that wonderful classical sculptural appeal.

Once again, well done, and I hope that some of my comments can help.

Attachments

dmockupfj6.jpg