ZBrushCentral

Customization Migration

I have a question regarding the updating of zbrush from one version to the next. I have a lot of customisation and im sure lots of people have more and i would like to take them over to the new version.

If i update from one version to the next i end up manually copying folders like the ZStartup, ZMaterials, ZAlphas, my ui and color cfg and the ZBrushData20xx\ZStartup cfg from the old version to the new one.
If it would be one collective folder to copy over it would be pretty simple but with zbrush its all over the place and then only parts of folders content need to be copied.

Is there some way that zbrush can migrate these configurations during the update?
When updating blender for example it asks me if i want to migrate my configuration which does all that for me. With Zbrush i find this a really tedious process.
So is there something out there to automate this?

Also more of a feature request would be to have a “global” location that can also by synced with some cloud app to store configurations and custom brushes and so on instead having them embedded in all the different folder location as they are now would be great

1 Like

Hello @kromar

This is not done as part of the Zbrush upgrade process. If you keep your custom content well organized with Lightbox, it’s usually a simple matter to drag and drop.

It is not generally not recommended that you port forward something like a UI between versions. Things can change in between versions, causing unexpected behavior.

Hi,

Any new suggestions on how to migrate customizations (hotkeys, macros, brushes, menus, alphas, materials, etc) from 2020 to 2021?
Or could someone please elaborate on how to use lightbox folders to simplify the migration process?

@Spyndel wrote:

If you keep your custom content well organized with Lightbox, it’s usually a simple matter to drag and drop.

With all the customization files, brushes, etc, scattered throughout mulptiple folders, I don’t see how lightbox folders help ( /applications/zbrushosx2020… and /applications/zbrushosx2021…) - brushes, hotkeys, UI (if it works), macros, custom menus, materials, etc.

Thanks!

1 Like

When you copy and paste files into a file folder, your OS typically gives you the option to skip or replace duplicate files. In this way you can merge the contents.

I, however, am exceptionally lazy. I simply group all my personal content into its own directory, with its own subfolders. Boop!

OK so do you save personal content in your own directories for future reference AND ALSO save another copy into the required Zbrush (startup, etc) folder? Like when you make/save a new brush?

Yes, pasting whole directories and skipping duplicates will be a great help.
(if there is a list somewhere of all those directories, that would be nice)

Thank you!

You’re more than welcome to try what I posted here.