ZBrushCentral

Curve MultiTube and masking

Hello
I’m confused about something. I create a dummy cylinder so I can use CurveMultiTube to draw curves coming out of the cylinder.
Once the curve has been drawn, the cylinder is masked. But if I go to Geometry and “Delete hidden” it won’t delete the masked areas. If I try to use the selection tools (Control shift), it won’t work either. Is there a particular way that curve brushes deal with masking?

Update : I figured I can do “split to parts”, which gives me two subtools and allows me to delete the cylinder, but I’d still love to understand how the masking works with curve brushes
Thanks!

Curve MultiTube works differently than the normal tube brush. With Curve Tube Snap brush for instance, it simply automasks everything else except the last tube inserted. The Curve Tube MultiSnap auto-masks everything from when you first start drawing the tubes, but does not mask the individual tubes you are drawing out.

Thats because it is masked, not hidden. You must hide that part of the subtool.

To work efficiently in Zbrush, it is vital that you understand the polygrouping shortcuts, the Masking Shortcuts, and the Mesh visibility functions. These should be committed to muscle memory as soon as possible. You will struggle to manage your meshes without these skills.

So in this scenario you could Shift-ctrl click twice on the target cylinder polygroup to hide it, then perform delete hidden, and all you will be left with are the tube polygroups. Or you can split them into separate subtools via one of the Split commands in the subtool palette, as you discovered.