ZBrushCentral

Creature Modeling- "Crossed Paths"

I don’t know how you did it, but I love that snow. :+1:

I said it weeks ago, I repeat it today again: TOP ROW…

Very inspiring work, I agree top row.

love the hunk of torn off flesh on the branch detail…like this version I think better than your other…please keep experimenting away!!:smiley:

i started by unwrapping the model in XSI creating “3 cluster” as followed

Hi , like just said incredible works and good step by step.
i’m learning XSI and i don’t understand the way you unwrap.
When you unwrap the model you create more subprojection in T. editor?
All the part unwrapped are placed on the same UV?

Thx
Bye
Leo

wow guys, I really appreciate everybody’s comments and support, thanks so much! I’m now going back to other projects and will post a new thread soon enough when comes the zbrushing stage; and this is when I will be pulling my hair.

Frenchy Pilou: hahaha:lol:

marciani: I used clusters in xsi to seperate sets of uvs according to a defined polygon selection on my model. It’s a way to assign multiple texture maps to a single object. So I have one texture map for the head which is assigned to the “head cluster”, one texture map for the torso assigned to the “torso cluster”, and so on…Each cluster have there own sub projections. So all the parts unwrapped are in their respective set of uvs, called “cluster” in XSI lingo. I don’t even know if this makes sense but i hope it helps.
:smiley:

Thx man for your min tutorial:+1:
I’ll try …
Bye
Leo

Try at home but no results.
Here show my steps(i’mstill learning XSI 5):

1. Create a mesh in XSI
  2. create some cluster according with the projection
  3. create for every group of poligon(cluster) a projection
  4. Check in T.Eeditor and place inside O-1 UV space all the UV (i check in view menu “show all selected”)
  5. Export in OBJ
  6. Import in Zbrush , check the UV texture , is OK
  7. If i play with "polygroups "botton in the tool menu, nothingh happened. No different color in the mesh, but only a single mesh with a single texture.
Probably i’m confusing about your workflow; i’m tryng to work on texture and mesh in a way i’m not obliged to work with whole mesh(for example a body, and i would be able to broke the mesh in few part).
There is a way to do this?
I read your post about this topic, you have assigned 3 cluster for the mesh: when you export in obj, you export the whole mesh or only the selected mesh with your UV?
I hope this have a sense
Thx in advance
Bye
Leo

I don’t think zbrush recognizes clusters from xsi, from what i understand you can’t have multiple textures maps on a single object in ZBrush yet. For me, it wasn’t a problem because I didn’t reimport the mesh back in xsi, I just used the normal map generated inside zbrush.

So here is what i did. Once my model had all the clusters assigned, I imported my mesh in pieces to zbrush. For example, I export the “head cluster” containing all the polys for the head, worked in zbrush, generated the map and assigned that map back in xsi to my head cluster. There was no reimporting the mesh from zbrush back to xsi.

You basically import to zbrush parts of your model according to each cluster. You can easily select all the polys in a cluster by selecting your object, selecting the cluster you want to cut out and going to the select menu (top right of your screen) and clicking on “Select Members/Components”. Once your polys are selected you can do an “extract polygons (keep)”, and export as an obj that part of the mesh containing your uvs for that one cluster.

This is what i did but my xsi to zbrush workflow is quite limited at this point, I’m learning too hehe

hope this helps marciani:D

thx again man;)
I’ll try
bye
leo