ZBrushCentral

creature design - the stingerhead (Updates)

Hi Scott -

Love the design of this guy, especially the length between his short nose
and upper lip and the modeling of his clavicular tendons (sterno-mastoid etc)

Looking forward to updates on the little fella here :slight_smile:

Chris

Thanks for the replies everyone! Im still paintig away on the map. I am doing it 99% by hand using spatterbrush and mottling so its a little slow going but (hopefully) worth it.

Vincent: Thanks man. I like your work a lot.

ATVPro Thanks : )

Monstermaker: Thank you MM! I am encouraged to hear you like the design so far and the neck! Im looking forward to your thoughts on the paint scheme/style as soon as I get it rendered. Thanks again! : )

jit_gohil: HAHAH yeah he does kinda resemble the Pixolator test head : ) That was sculpted by the one and only Pixolator though, not me. I just did a video about it.

illusion: Thanks man! do you mean the central back horn or the side horns? The central back one I will treat ike an enamal surface or a stinger. most people seem divided about that part : )
It was added partly for design and partly to llustrate how to add new geomerty to a ztool in Maya after you have already started sculpting on it.

pOiNtPuShEr: thanks man! Drop me a PM sometime and let me know how things are in the chill upsate : )

Atwooki: Thanks!!

I dont want to jump the gun till its finished (or at least more presentable, I dont think I ever ā€˜finishedā€™ anything)
, but here is a quick detail of the skin so far. Still a WIP, of course

peek.jpg

S

Looks like the texture is coming along really well, keep it up! :+1:

Thought Iā€™d check in before going to bed; andā€¦Wow! That texture sampleā€™s looking real juicy Scott; nice one!
Iā€™ll be watching your progress avidly :+1:

Chris

Stingerhead is destined for top row. Keep up your fantastic work Scott.

yeah the skin looks pretty goodā€¦:slight_smile:

The texture is looking awesome. It really takes it to that next level. So, I just got to get this straight. Your saying itā€™s entirely hand painted?! I think we all need more details on how your doing this.

Great modelā€¦ good concept and head proportions:+1:

Hello Everyone and thanks for the encouragment!

Here is an update on the textureā€¦ I am still fussing with some aspects and I have yet to paint the stinger but I wanted to let you see where it was going : )

j lizzle: yeah this is totally hand painted. I started to project photoref for the horn then changes my mind and painted over it. The technique boils down to spattering in dots of color (mostly primaries) and establishing tempature regions on the face then I squiggle whites over that and mist with a very thin flesh color. Repeat until it starts to look right : )

Thanks again everyone!

Scott

3quarter.jpg

Attachments

peek3.jpg

hornDetail.jpg

That is amazing, the blue color under the mottled skin looks like blood undertones of the epidermis.

Looking great! :slight_smile:

The soft skin around his eyes looks especially nice.

Thanks everyone!

Here is a full 3 quarter shot of the progress. Now Im off to paint the stinger and add final touches for a proper render.

I hope you like.

Scott

fullShot.jpg

excelent Scott!!! itĀ“s great!

Really like the colors

This is looking really good.
Fab sculpt !
There is a really nice tension in the muscles, and a nice ā€˜weightā€™ to the skin.

• a really subtle expression, that gives loads of character
    The texturing is awesome !

Look forward to seeing the final renders. :+1:

looking good scott! i saw the little thumbnail on the top and somehow knew that this was one of your creations. i like the creature design and the paint job is really nice. have you considered taking a little bit of of that tight contrasty color detail that you have in the face and carry it through into the lower neck and collar bone area? keep those great images cominā€™ mahh!!!

Nice work Scott. Best way to paint anything by the way. So why does this fella look like you? Slap some glasses on him will ya? Uncanny resemblanceā€¦ Ha, thatā€™ll get 'em all to Google like crazy! :wink:

I think we all subconsciously include some of ourselves in our workā€¦does this mean Jason looks like a Zsphere?

Great model Scott.

Scott,

Glad I didnā€™t miss this one. Very cool!
Nice character and detail work. The coloring is very good as well.
Good too see more of your work Scott!
Nicely done.:+1:
~Brian

Excellent stuff! I really like the variations in skin temperature to add depth. If this is preliminary, I canā€™t wait for the ā€œproper renderā€! Just awesome!