ZBrushCentral

COVIDEMONI XIX Zbrush Live Creature design with tutorial images and videos

Hi All,

Over the course of the COVID 19 lockdown here in London, I was asked by Pixologic to do a series of ZBrush Live web streams. I decided it would be a good opportunity to develop a creature design based around the personification of the coronavirus as sentient malicious entity. This would be an interesting challenge to develop the entire creature, from ideation to the sculpting process live and with an audience. I thought it would be valuable to see how I work out shapes and ideas in a sculpting medium in sketch form and how much stream of consciousness and just pure sensitivity to curves, angles, and shape language informs decision making. Here is the final result of the three sessions. If you would like to view the videos themselves and see this piece come together visit the links at the bottom of the post to the Pixologic YouTube channel.

For inspiration, I drew on the prompts of suffocation, respiration, infection, aggressive and jagged shapes contrasted with elegant reverse curves. For other artworks I drew on the images of sculptors, illustrators, and painters who dealt with themes of putrefaction and disease such as Harry Clarke, Jean Delville, and the Renaissance sculptor Zumbo who created an incredible series of wax miniatures about the plague.

I hope you enjoy the images and the associated tips and callouts I made to hi-light parts of the process I thought other might find useful. Thanks to those who watched the streams and thanks to Pixologic for the invitation to present. It is always a pleasure.

All the best, stay healthy and be well.

Maddiemonster
maddiemonster.com

Here are links to the three ZBrush LIVE sessions over which this took shape and developed.

24 Likes

This is so cool! Very well done, thanks for the breakdown!

1 Like

very nice break down and a dope model! :slight_smile: thanks for posting this

1 Like

This is great Maddie! Thank you for doing these streams with us and these break downs are just the cherry on top! Well done :clap:

1 Like

Thanks @KyleJ39 and @Pixo_Daisuke :slight_smile:

Final version turned out awesome Maddie! =)

-Joseph

1 Like

Your a constant inspiration Maddie

1 Like

very nice

1 Like

Thanks @ministerart @Piggyson and @Prabhat_Majumdar :slight_smile:

Really amazing work! :astonished:

1 Like

Loved it!

Well done!

1 Like

Thanks @joao_bragaand @mookieCG :slight_smile:

Great sculpt - thanks for posting the breakdown/tips and taking the time to do the excellent Live stream sessions!! :sunglasses: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks @Geert_Etcher_Melis !! I really enjoyed doing them :slight_smile:

That’s insane @madeleine_spencer! Thanks for sharing your process :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Nice one Maddie :smiley: I loved your presentation, it was very instructive!

1 Like

Thanks @Melissa and @Intervain - I LOVE your beta works @Intervain - as always !!