ZBrushCentral

Confusion Around Exporting and.. What to export

Hello, I’m pretty new to ZBrush so this will probably be a question that’s already on here, but maybe you can help me out. I’m doing some very simple sculpting work on a character’s shoe specifically.

I want to export the low poly mesh, the normal map, and displacement map so I can import that into maya for animation. I’ve done that, but not without having to lose all the chains. This section in particular is quite hard to project with the chain/ zipper… thing.

sdadsadadasv

My question to you all is what would be the best way to tackle this issue.
Do i have to just, project at a higher resolution?
Or do I simply just bring the chains into maya raw?

How do you go about recovering insert multi mesh’s detail from ZBrush to Maya in your own workflow without it being too laggy to animate?

I know in this case it’s only 9k polygons, but that can add up.
In another example I make a rope with around 7million polys. that will for sure crash maya.

ssdasdasdas

Hello @IndigoJarl

This depends on the situation.

Bits like the zipper are fine surface detail without much elevation, and should not be a separate piece for the purposes of displacement export. At some point you want to transition to a mesh where details like this have been fused into a single mesh. The zipper should project onto a new target mesh with sufficient resolution without much trouble. If you’re having trouble getting that done, you should illustrate the problem.

The rope is a slightly different situation. You don’t want to make a displacement map do too much work–in other words you don’t want it to have to displace too far from the actual surface of the mesh. Because the rope is a fairly substantial piece of geometry that protrudes from your mesh surface, you probably want to fuse the actual geometry to your export quality mesh via Dynamesh or Live Boolean. It would also make your life easier to make this rope a solid piece without the gaps in the middle. If you don’t want to edit your IM brush here, using the Inflate Brush with a low intensity (for better control) or a Tool> Deformation> Inflate operation will probably let you fill in those gaps prior to fusing.

Basically you’re aiming for a mesh that is as unibody as possible for the best results with displacement in an external app. Details that can logically be combined into another piece of geometry should be either projected onto it, or fused with it. This would generally be done when you’re preparing export quality topology for your mesh, or when your basic form is well defined, and you are looking to start fine detail work. A new low poly base mesh would be created (with ZRemesher or otherwise) where the prominent physical features have been fused into the form. This mesh would be subdivided as much as necessary to hold the incoming detail, and fine detail from the original mesh would be projected onto it via the procedure linked above. You will need a mesh in this form (low poly base with quality topology and multiple subdivision levels) for best results when sculpting fine detail, posing, painting, or creating textures for export.

1 Like

Ah okay, I have somethings to try from your response. I’m familiar with mesh fusion, but didn’t know it’d be useful here. I’ll keep working at it in future projects. Thank you for the assistance.