ZBrushCentral

Comic Book Character Sculpts

Joker is my Fav, loe the melted window detail. The Batman also looks awesome although not when he is coloured. All in all a worthy top rower has been born.

Congrats :smiley: :+1:

very nice :+1: :+1:

I wouldn’t put it past them now that I’ve seen the 3.5 videos. I think it’s everyone else that didn’t see it coming.

I have to say that seeing the virtual become physical is always sooo cool.

wow!!! jus brilliant! utterley brilliant!!!
please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLLLLLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE
DO US A WALKTHROUGH/TUT!!!
It would be much appreciated!!!:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Batman is my favourite, you really had to bend him around to fit in that window, and capture the action line. I look foward to seeing heaps of these from you when 3.5 comes out. Thanks for sharing the Mephisto wip.

Grats on the top row! It must be a great feeling to see your artwork be distributed to people from digital to physical! Looking forward to some more from you!

I would love to do a tut, jonnyd’artiste but I am totally (and very thankfully) swamped right now. I would stress the most important thing for producing successful physical output from CG or CAD is to really understand the principles of traditional sculpture making, whether for commercial, mass produced stuff or public art output. It’s got to work in the real world, whether that means it needs to be the pattern for a thousand reproductions or for a single 30 foot tall cast metal monument (which I’ve also done digitally in the past)

When it’s all said and done, though, I’m just trying to have fun.
When I get a chance to sculpt Batman, I’m using the reference provided by the client but also thinking back to all of the great artists who brought him to life over the years, from Kane, to Infantino, to Adams, and on to today…and how much that work meant to me…I feel like it’s a chance to be able to in some small way contribute to that continuum now that the comic book statue thing is such a big part of the industry.

It is a trip…and I feel lucky to be along for the ride!

awsome ! thanks for sharing…

awesome sculpture
so much life into the characters
can’t wait to see more:D

Very cool, I especially like the Mephisto.

cool work, you got that style down. very well deserved top row.

Hi man!

You have put a terrific work together here! Thanks for sharing it with us all, very inspiring.
Your Mephisto Statue is the best so far, really very true to Buscema rendition. I guess good ol’ John would be very proud of it.
Please go on posting!
Ciao, respect, Angelo

Good job ! :+1:

Congrats on top row. Super cool work!
:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

thanks! I loved doing the Buscema piece…it was definitely a tribute to him…I actually took some of the images of the lost souls on the back of the chair directly from the comic…literally

I bought the black and white Silver Surfer collection and found the images of Mephisto in his domain…found some cool images of figures in rocks and scanned them in.

I air brushed them up a bit and used them as alphas…it worked mainly for placement and i went over them with a few sculpting passes.

I did the rocks mainly with the mallet brush…banging on the mesh as if i were working a mass with a 2 by 4 in water clay…

I love the rake brush for building organic form…it is a very direct analog to how i would develop a clean surface piece like this in plastiline. That in tandem with Ryan Kingslien’s rasp brush is my strategy of choice for sculpting full, classically inspired volumes (I really use ancient Greek and Hellenistic sculpture as my main reference when I sculpt but have slowly been leaning on more realistic photo reference and documentaion)
Buscema’s style really lends itself to the same kind of broad plastic interpretation as classical sculpture so it was just a lot of fun to do all around.
the forms of mephisto are all rake brushed in. Clay tubes, rake, pinch, flatten, and smooth were pretty much all the brushes I used back when I did this…

This was over a year ago and now I am experimenting with all kinds of new approaches.

I sculpted life sized hyper-realistic figures for years in a fine art foundry and find that digital sculpting allows me to bring that same sweeping sense of working large figurative form to doing this toy and statue stuff: on screen I can zoom in as much as I like…I’m a monument sculptor by training and never liked working small so digital sculpting really openned some doors for me.

Actually when I did this project my biggest concerns were the prototyping…I had to strategically print different parts of the model using different technologies due to detail and budget requirements…more detail for the head, less for body, etc…plus i had to print it in small pieces and put it back together like legos since the printing windows at that time for HD prints were so small…

man, I am rambling here but I love talking about this stuff and can’t get enough of it…this is really cool and thanks for looking!!!

I still think the guy at the top of the stone column is Iggy Pop…

Great sculpts…

Amazing !!! always great to see 3D prints from ZBrush !!!

Really impressive. Almost persuades me to buy one! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yup, I am a huge comicbook fan myself and I love your stuff! Keep up the coolness! :+1:

Wow! Thank you very, very much for looking.
I really appreciate it.