ZBrushCentral

Clear layer and 2.5d vs 3d

I’m very new. If I have dragged multiple objects onto the canvas, and then click Edit object, and then press Ctrl+n, the last instance of the object that I dragged remains, and the others are deleted. Just for me to understand how layers work, why did it not clear the entire canvas?

Similarly, if I create a polymesh then click edit object to leave “edit mode”, and then press ctrl+n, it removes the polymesh from the canvas. What is the relationship between layers and “edit mode”?

Hi @cheyrn

When you drag one mesh onto the canvas and turn Edit on, that mesh becomes 3D editable. With Edit off, you can keep dragging meshes onto the canvas and every one you drag drops the previous one into 2.5D mode and when you turn Edit on, only the last one you dragged will become 3D editable. That is why only one remained after you pressed Ctrl+N to clear the 2.5D layer. If you didn’t enable Edit, pressing Ctrl+N would have cleared the whole canvas. So, in other words, if you want to clear the whole canvas, turn Edit off and switch to 2.5D mode then press Ctrl+N to clear. 2.5D mode is 2d with depth added. It is how ZBrush started out originally and is used mainly for illustration. A good example of ZBrush 2.5D work is the art of Meats Meier. If you are new to ZBrush, I would highly recomend that you watch the Michael Pavlovich video series NEW Intro to ZBrush- ZBrush for Ideation (Updated for 2021).

Ok. So: drag, drag, ‘t’, ctrl+n deletes the first object (clears the 2.5d layer). Continuing: ‘t’, ‘t’, ctrl+n, doesn’t delete anything. Leaving edit mode doesn’t put the object on the 2.5d layer, I guess.

But, starting over, drag drag, ‘t’, ‘ctrl+n’, ‘t’, ‘ctrl+n’ deletes both objects. So, i still don’t understand. But, I guess I don’t need to, right now.

Hmm. I abandoned that Intro to Zbrush by Michael Pavlovich series, because there was a new series, I thought Intro to ZBrush. New and updated! Episode 13 had updates for 2021.6 in it. I’ll have to compare them.

About the Pavlovich series. I think ZBrush for Ideation on youtube is just Unit1 of 7. “New and updated” is a shorter course… confusing.

Ok. I just purchased ZBrush for Ideation from gumroad and got confirmation that that is the series to follow.