ZBrushCentral

Cavity masking, how to handle the profile

Hi there,
i am fiddeling around with the cavity mashing and seem not to get to an satisfying result. How must the curve in the cavity profile editor look like in order to generate a mask for the indentations of this surface?
Every help is kindly apprechiated!
Regards
Heiner

Hello @Heiner,

It’s difficult to say without seeing more of the target mesh. My own quick test with what I’m assuming is a similar sort of mesh, I get good results with the default profile. Adjusting this does not significantly change the masked areas, but rather the degree of contrast between the cavity and non-cavity areas.

Note that in that pic I have darkened the appearance of the masking for display purposes.

It may be that your mesh is much different than I’m imagining, or that it has aspects that make it not work as well with cavity masking. Tips here:

1. You can adjust the mask with the “Grow, Shrink, Sharpen, etc” controls in the masking palette if the masking is created in the general area you want but does not have sufficient coverage.

2. It may be that another masking method gets closer to the results you want. Mask by AO and Mask by Peaks and Valleys may provide better results for your subject. In the case of Peaks and Valleys, you may need to invert the results.

Good luck!