ZBrushCentral

Can a Mask be copied from one tool and placed on another tool of the same shape?

Hello, I put a mask onto a tool of a house which took a while. But that was before I realized I needed to Dynamesh it to make nice clean grooves for the stone blocks.

So I saved the tool with the mask, then reimported the STL, Dynameshed, and made the grooves. But now I would like to put brick texture in the recessed areas and invert the previous mask so the bricks don’t go on the stone areas.

Anyone know if this is possible and if so how to do that? I didn’t see a ‘copy mask’ button in the Masking Toolbar on the right shelf.

Thanks!

Hi @Carved_Metal

Maybe the following video will give you an idea.

Wow, thank you! I think this may be a very useful trick for different iterations of many thingies.

Hi @Carved_Metal

Give the masked area a unique polygroup (Ctrl-W). When you Dynamesh, the polygroup will remain. You can then easily switch between areas to work on. The extent to which the border between polygroups is maintained after Dynameshing depends on how different the mesh densities are. If your initial, non-Dynameshed model which has the mask is equal or lower than the subsequent Dynamesh polygon density then the border should remain pretty much the same.

If both SubTools have the same UVs, you could polypaint both the masked and unmasked areas with white and black colors, and then turn it into a Texture Map. You can export that texture map, and import it as an alpha. Then, in the other SubTool, you could go to Masking => Mask by Alpha. Since they would share the same UVs, they would share (relatively) same masking.