ZBrushCentral

Buttercup | Powerpuff Girls

This re-imagined version of Buttercup is a personal project I’ve been working on in my spare time for a while now. She is based on the original Buttercup from The Powerpuff Girls and she is a game ready character rendered in the Unreal Engine 4. I absolutely enjoyed working on every phase of this project. From re-designing her and doing the 3D scanning myself to doing the clean ups and the sculpts in Zbrush and creating the shots in Unreal Engine.

I invested the beginning months of this project into finding an affordable 3D scanning method that can give results usable in a real AAA production. In the end I concluded to use an IOS application called ScandyPro, which allowed me to simply scan my friend in my living room using an iPad.

I cleaned up the scans using Zbrush and during that process I took some artistic liberties to best achieve the visual goals I had in mind for her. I carefully added subtle stylization to her features to reduce the uncanny valley-ness of the final result.

The lowpoly process and hard surface modeling were done in Maya. Baking and texturing were done using Substance Designer and Painter. For the hair cards I used a new and impressive software called FiberShop that made the hair texture creation much easier. I then hand placed the cards back in Maya. The VFX, editing and rendering were all done in Unreal Engine 4.

For the music I was lucky to be able to collaborate with talented artists, Carlos Rey (BlueCheeseSound) and Ricardo Gil.

I hope you enjoy this project as much as I enjoyed creating it. Cheers!

BC_03

13 Likes

She’s really cool. Well done! You’ve taken the original in a totally new direction.

1 Like

Thank you very much! Re-designing her was a lot of fun :smiley:

wow really cool! I love the vibe you gave her

1 Like

Exactly what recall, what I watched when I was like 10 lol!

Awesome take on this one! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much! I’m glad you like it.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I tried to approach her design based on how I remembered her from all those years ago. I’m very happy that’s the impression you got.

1 Like

dyam that looks so cool.

the rules just changed, cute and idealistic superhero no more.
ruffle her enough and maybe she might just end it once and for all. haha

1 Like

Haha yes! You’ve described her pretty well :smiley: