ZBrushCentral

Building Rapid Prototype 3D Models from Zbrush Files Tutorial

Well this seems really cool, but where are the normal market prices listed?
Hey your company is not too far from where i live, you hiring?

Hi spaceboy412-
Sorry but we’re not hiring right now but you’re welcome to come by for a tour of the facility. Bring your resume. The slot prices that are based on the current market price are offered with subscription request. If you’ve got a file you want printed send it over & I’ll get you a quote :slight_smile:

Cheers-
shhark

Hi All-
I’ve gotten some inquiries that made it obvious to me that I wasn’t clear enough regarding the “introductory” build. We are offering 50% off Objet 3D printing for everyone here that wants to try it. No strings attached & no subscription required. If your part fits within on of the following slots, is 25MB or less, the price for the build is as follows:

.5"x1"x1" @ $38
1"x1"x1" @ $58
1"x2"x2" @ $95
1"x2"x4" @ $125
1"x2"x6" @ $155
2"x2"x2" @ $158
2"x2"x4" @ $215
2"x2"x6" @ $275
2"x4"x4" @ $355
2"x4"x6" @ $455

Approx 4 week lead time, credit card pre-pay, shipping is extra.
Contact us (info@pardev.com) to participate or for more info.

Cheers-
shhark

I don’t know if this question is relevant to this forum or not but here goes.
Do we charge the same for a modelling job for a 3D print model as we do for a regular hi rez mesh or is the fee varied? Can anyone provide a breakdown of the fees to charge for such a job?

Many thanks to whoever that is able to answer this question. :smiley:

Hi there, I have been following this development for sometime, but can anyone tell me if they have tried there sculpts on a 3D Crystal laser print yet.

Looking forward to your response…

Ziggy

Perfactory has the best resolution and there are vendors out there.
It’s costly, though…

http://www.best-cast.com/index.html

Best Cast has the envision hd system which is also very good and cheaper than perfactory.

envelope doesn’t really matter if you can cast the parts and hand assemble.
it’s best to mold and cast in resin ultimately anyway.
if you are going to wax, build in the shrink size of the final product as the wax can shrink as much as 3% which screws you up when working to spec.
I prefer to cast in a smooth-on 300 series resin and clean up by hand…use milliput or something to fix or add.

my favorite objet vendor is

http://www.interpro-rtc.com/

I build pieces out of multiple parts and hand assemble.

Isn’t STL files all triangle poly ? Last I checked even Nurbs where changed to triangle when pushed into stl files.

hi Delminiature,

If I understand you question correctly , yes STL files are all triangles.
Cheers-
shhark

Another source for Printing out your 3D Models if you are in Southern California is:

<b>Here's an example of their work:</b>

<b>I've had a few pieces created there and was Amazed with the results!</b>

I’ve been following this thread for a while now and decided to chime in now that another company has been mentioned. I don’t want to take from Josh’s thunder. Josh, you have provided a lot of great information that has helped inform a lot of the individuals on this forum as to the possibilities of Additive Technologies and I would love to speak with you about some of your work with your polyjet.

GROWit is a rapid prototyping, now better known as Additive Technologies Company in Southern California. We have been working on new ways of creating less expensive, more accurate, custom avatars and models for people all over the world and have come up with some great solutions. We primarily use Polyjet and Z-corp for avatars for many of the same reasons that have been mentioned, but we also offer SLS, FDM, SLA, and a new great metals process called Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS).

Here is a bit of the work that we have done.

Deamon low res.jpg

Attached is the document “The Basics of Growing 3D Models”. We have been continuously modifying it to help with preparing files for additive technologies.

Because of the high resolution files that are produced from z-brush, we have created an ftp link to load files that are larger than 20 MB.

http://www.growit3d.com/upload/

We typically run files that are larger than 80MB to capture all the detail that is in the model. But we don’t recommend going much higher than 100MB.

We have received a lot of questions lately about the last portion of “The Basics of Growing 3D Models” about models containing only one solid object. Technically the model doesn’t have to be sent as one solid objet, but if our software cannot re-mesh the multiple solids / shells into one single solid, with just the press of a button, then the file will be returned with a few helpful hints to fix.

Please let us know if there are any questions about this technology that have not yet been answered. We would like to provide the opportunity for everyone to get a chance at producing their own model! Send us your model and we’ll let you know how much it will be based on the technology and size.

Keep up the great work of keeping this forum GOING!!

Attachments

deamon 2.JPG

deamon 3.JPG

spawn5.JPG

spawn6.JPG

Objet sample pictures 10-24-07 001.jpg

Objet sample pictures 10-24-07 008.jpg

Objet sample pictures 10-24-07 022.jpg

Objet sample pictures 10-24-07 023.jpg

Lego Staff.jpg

The Basics of Growing 3D Models low res.pdf (274 KB)

Hi everyone,

i am kinda new to this rapid prototype 3d models, i have modeled a head and exported the head at 1.5mil poly count, the file size is 250mb when i import it into maya and export it as stl the file becomes 811mb can, can any one help me with a some more guidence with this thing and how to get file size down

You have to talk to your 3D Print Shop and ask them how high the resolution should be. You have to take it from there. You started form the wrong end to determine the resolution. No need to create more detail than a system can reproduce. But in some cases the amount of data you mention is not out of the question. You can try and use the ‘reconstruct’ subdivision function in ZB or simply export a lower subdivision level to stl.
Lemo

HI cgguru,
250MB is the max tray size the Objet software will handle. I cannot comment on other platforms. Best thing to do is try to control unneeded mesh densities during modeling. For example, if you need alot of polys around the eyes for wrinkles just divide that area and not the entire model. Another approach is called decimation. It basically lowers the mesh resolution by averaging triangles/poly together based on your settings. Try MeshLab for this if you don’t have a software package that offers it. MeshLab is shareware so you can’t beat the price & it works acceptably well.
Cheers-
shhark

can someone recommend a good work flow to take a tool to nurbs or sub-d’s?

Hi,

lemonnado,shhark thanks for the reply guys,

i have an order for modeling head, the client told me to work and create all the pore and texture details as well and export the high level mesh(which is 1.5mil approx) when export it crosses 250mb this time i tried importing the obj file in mesh lab and export as an stl file through mesh lab the file size is
146 mb quite less, but now he say usually he a getz a file which is around 10mb so i was just wondering is there a way to get this 1.5 mil mesh file any lesser than this size

I had my zbrush model sent out to be made into a physical piece.
The images here are of a 5 inch tall prototype. This print was made by the guys at Growit3D.

http://www.growit3d.com/

Let me know what you think. I am more than satisfied with this piece!
-Jeff
The Print:
[print_zbc_5.jpg]Feligno_RP_3.jpg

This is the link to my sketchbook thread with all associated pics.
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=466039#post466039

I hope you like the work. Growit3D did a great job. I had the print in my hands in one week after I sent out the approved obj file. Super clean print!

Attachments

print_zbc_3.jpg

print_zbc_2.jpg

Feligno_RP_2.jpg

Have you cleaned the model by yourself?
If I can ask you: how much does it cost?

There is some mistakes with the base of the model, near the feet, the corrispondence with the Zbrush Model is missing, isn’t it? But it’s s a small detail…

Anyway did you think to paint it?

Bye

Love the result. The concept is excellent as well.

hi MouthforWar,

nice model looks great, can u tell me what was the polycount of final mesh, file size, and file format

Hi cgguru-

Try cluster or quadric edge collapse decimation in MeshLab. I don’t think you’ll have any luck getting anywhere near 10MB though, especially if you’re trying to keep pore texture at the geometric level.

Cheers-
shhark