ZBrushCentral

Brush's Draw Size slider not linear anymore in 2021.5.1

Hello, I’m new here and hope someone may have a solution to this “interesting” query.

I’m currently on ZBrush 2021.5.1 and the brush’s Draw Size slider setting is exponential, meaning it does not scale in a linear fashion as it did before, and whereas in previous versions your number was an integer with no digits behind a dot, it is now a float.

See the following comparison shots:
From a previous version (source: YouTube):
ZBrushPreviousDrawSize0
From 2021.5.1, value 64 location, max slider position = 1000 (left untouched):
ZBrush2021DrawSize0
From 2021.5.1, approx. the same position on slider as from the YT video:
ZBrush2021DrawSizeSamePosition
Exponential and float might be handy for detail sculpting, but personally I find it to be inconvenient for sketching and speedsculpts. I find it much harder to locate values on the slider and to use it to begin with as exponential sliders are far less predictive. I’ve already wondered if something was off with ZBrush’s scale settings. Also seeing a long row of numbers takes longer to register when you’re completely into your sculpt, aka sabotages my flow (unfortunately). Maybe a matter of getting used to it, but I’d prefer to change it back if I somehow can. I asked others if they could upgrade to verify it’s not just an issue on my end, they could confirm it’s new but also couldn’t find a way to disable it. For quick sketching they empathized with me.

Note: Not related to the “Dynamic” setting at the slider, nor Dynamic Brush Scale (Preferences -> Draw). Could not find relevant settings in the Brush menu either.

Tried: Restore Standard UI (Preferences -> Config) and Init ZBrush (Preferences). Neither worked. Can it even be changed or is this a permanent setting now? :neutral_face:

tl;dr version of my post:

• Version: ZBrush 2021.5.1
  • “Issue”: Draw Size slider is exponential and shows float values as default settings.
  • Desired: Linear Draw Size slider with clean, easily readable integers as default.
  • Why: Personally considered more convenient for sketching workflows and speedsculpts.
  • Attempted: Resetting UI and Init ZBrush, looked through all menus with no result.

Help is much appreciated and thank you in advance! :slight_smile:

Hello @Sly-Mk3

This is normal Zbrush behavior. Holding down SHIFT when adjusting the draw size slider will constrain it to integers.

Thank you!

Hello @Spyndel and thank you for your quick reply!

I tried and noticed what you described just prior to your reply, but unfortunately the slider then still behaves nonlinear with the 64 value located at 50%/in its center. Is there maybe a way I can revert this default behaviour back to a linear with integers standard and keep the float and exponential slider as an alternative picking option for detail work? As I mentioned before, the current one is nice for detail stages, but feels a bit bothersome for quick sketching and concepting to me. Besides it feels a bit like a consistency issue since I didn’t come across other sliders of the most basic functions behaving that way - and I’m very aware this may come across like high level nitpicking there, so sorry there if that’s the case! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m trying to get used to it, but it would be neat if there was some sort of toggle/setting as this is probably the most important slider the entire UI has to offer. If there is none, is there anyplace I can submit this as feedback?

Thanks in advance for taking your time!

1 Like

Add my name to the list of folks who would like to see the default precision of the draw size slider be set back as it was (0?) or at least provide a preference to turn this off.

I thought I had accidentally turned something on…not realizing until this search that this is “normal.” I’ve kind of just lived with it for awhile, but today I decided I needed to find a solution because it’s driving me nuts!

Adding the shift key is inconvenient to my workflow. I think the best option would be a preferences option.

Many thanks!

hi i wonder did you find the solution?
i had a same problem like that
plz help me some