ZBrushCentral

Brush changes size when smoothing

When I hold down shift to smooth, the brush size changes dramatically. I’ve read what documentation I can find for the smooth brush modifiers, but I have not been able to prevent this behavior. Is this is a bug or a feature? Is it possible to set it to stay the same size like in previous versions of zbrush?

edit: this seems to only occur if dynamic is turned off on the brush. Still, is there a way to change the behavior so the brushes maintain their size?

Hi @Lamont!

It shouldn’t change size, unless you have the “Remember Draw Size per Brush” option enabled (located in preferences > Draw], OR the “Remember Dynamic Mode” toggled. Otherwise the smooth cursor should stay the same size as the active brush cursor with Dynamic Mode on or off.

Thanks for the reply. What’s the expected behavior with “Remember Draw Size per Brush”? Is smooth considered it’s own brush, so the size of the smooth brush should stay the same ignoring changes to the active brush? That’s what I would expect, but that’s certainly not what happens.

I think in this case the more likely culprit is the “Remember Dynamic Mode” toggle. That will store different settings for the active smooth brush and the active sculpting brush, and it will result in radically different brush sizes if one is set to Dynamic and the other isn’t.

Disabling both of these options should result in the legacy behavior. If it does not, let us know.