ZBrushCentral

Bringing back an old friend

The fiber work is phenomenal Rick! :+1:

I love the idea of recreating the cantina creatures, and there’s no one better suited to the task. Just gorgeous stuff. I have to say I’m with everyone else here regarding the fibermesh. You tamed that stuff but good!

Love the fibrework… Your a master. You should try a BPR of the fibres…and convert BPR to geometry then get this sucker into keyshot…will make you smile massively.

Pete

awesome work!

Thanks guys.
What a sad day today .Ray Harryhausen was a good friend and an inspiration there will never be another like him. He was one of the reasons that I do what I do. I will miss him a lot.

.BD_4.2lo.jpg

Sad news for sure, RIP Ray…
btw: awesome work sir, that fibermesh use is insaaaane!

Ray’s work taught me the patience that has allowed me to work in this crazy industry for nearly 46 years.
Your work has also had the same effect on a lot of us.
Just a simple thank you, to Rick.

Cool beast!
Pixologic should make a Harryhausen Tribute Thread on Top Row, for those who want to express their appreciation that way.
RIP, my condolences.

I agree Matt , a real pioneer can’t forget The Argonauts or Clash of the Titans well sooo many … R.I.P. Ray

Rick, can you describe a little on your approach using fiber tool and styling?

doot-de-doot-de-doot-de-doot-de…doot-de-dootala-doo-doo!

Pure awesomeness and joy, Rick!

-m

he’s so fluffy I could dieee! :smiley: Magnificent creature!

Nice fiberstuff Rick, indeed a sad day :frowning: … keep it up.

sweet! love this character :slight_smile:

Beautiful !

Great stuff as usual. I always look forward to posts from you, never a disappointment.RIP Harry.

Thanks a lot guys. I actually think the fibermesh stuff that I did a while back on my werewolf and rat were better. Maybe I should have looked at those before saying that. I do think in that thread I talked about how I approached fibermesh. It is pretty simple though. I do a lot of layers. I will mask off a section hit preview adjust the sliders until it looks like I want it to in a preview bpr then accept it and groom it with mostly the groom toss brush. It seems that the size of the model greatly effects the fibermesh. But again you just have to adjust the length and the maxfibers and coverage sliders. The more segments it has the more you can push the hair around. I will many times do a couple of different layers with the same mask changing the length ,thickness ,color and amount of fibers. On this last guy I did fibers on one side copied the layer and flopped it on the X axis for the other side. I won’t have much time for computer stuff for a few days but when I do I will try and show you how i use it.the best thing is to do what I did and just play with it. Try the different sliders and see what they do.

It’s weird but I never even thought to try adding hair in layers! I also tend to favor the groom toss brush, though I sometimes get a bit mixed up with how it seems like the angle of the camera can affect the direction of the hair when tossing it - sometimes it seems like the hair pulls out from the mesh as well as going back, and the camera angle seems to have a lot to do with when that happens. Lot of trial and error for me on that front. I hope you do get a chance to show us a little of how you approach that. Thanks as always for sharing your insights!

Actually I shouldn’t have said layers I should have said sub tools. Lots of different fibermesh sub tools but I do layer one sub tool over another. Hope that is a little more clear . Though I wonder if you can do fibermesh using the layer function ? Hummm I’ll have to try that
Also:

For any Classic Monster fans out here here is a video of me talking,way to fast and much, about classic monster make-up’s and how they were done illustrated by a bunch of paintings that I did.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxaoVeAFO8c&feature=youtu.be

wow nice video, fun to see Scott from Anthrax too…Metal & Horror…well i’m still a child and forever will be eheh and your paintings are so amazing. Speechless.:+1: