ZBrushCentral

Balloon inflate shape to stay in place

Hi all,

I have question on my chip shape, bit stuck how to solve this :frowning:

I’m trying to get nice oval shape like curved window. So i created a extra poly loop… mask it then did Inflate Balloon, but I get some gap. So I tried to store MT first
… then switched back after the balloon, but then I loose the balloon shape look as It goes to the flat look.

So I need the inflate balloon, but it can’t deform the shape otherwise I get the gap offset, so it needs to stay in place. How can curved shape, but it needs to stay in place. So without the gap.

What do I need to use brushes/masking/historyB / workflow ?

Thanks.

Hello @decorix ,

I don’t entirely understand the scenario from the description or illustration. However, it looks like the approach you’re choosing is more difficult than it needs to be.

You appear to have cut out sections from a curved surface as separate polygroups, and then split them into a separate subtool. These sections appear to be a single sided 2d surface. You would like to give these sections an outward curve, while still adhering to the border of the surface they were split from?

Would it not be easier to simply create these objects separately in whatever shape you prefer, then intersect them with the target surface and use Live Boolean to fuse them all together? This will remove the redundant geometry and result in the effect you appear to be after with each of these objects turning into a raised section on the surface that is also a separate poly group. ZRemesher can be used with the “Keep Groups” option to further refine and clean up the awkward topology created by the boolean operation.

The “Mesh Balloon” masking brush might be useful here if you set the the Picker> Depth to “Continuous Z”. You can then use that tool to quickly draw balloon form shapes that adhere to the contour of the target surface. You can then use Live Boolean to fuse them together, or the “Remesh by Union” Gizmo deformer if they are part of the same subtool.

Remember to always check meshes for errors with Geometry> Mesh Integrity> Check mesh after fusing or redrawing topology.

Or have I misunderstood what you are after? Is the morphing aspect important here for any reason other than trying to maintain the shape of the border?

Hello Spyndel,

Thank you so much for your help on my issue.

The flat cutout shape is flat and I have many different ones which are all different.
I want the flat shape to be more curved like a bowl shape. So I have flat shape… created a polygroup loop so I can mask it when using the Inflate Balloon, but it moves from the orginal shape so you get this small gap. Is there any way I can hold the shape.

I understand boolean workflow, but I would need to create like sphere… delete cap… make some thickness as the white sphere in my image then deform it and use the flat 2d shape to cut it out. You might be right I might be making it more difficult on myself. But I’m curious to know if you can inflate a flat piece but it need to stay in place. win_question2