ZBrushCentral

Assassin's creed NPC characters

Fantastic work David! (hey your name evokes me something Moebius !)

i like the first render of what you posted over the last one : better lighting IMO and it feels really natural. and believable last one has a more crisp feeling so beliavability is a bit off.
but naturally it is a gorgeous work however and model looks great! :slight_smile:

while i am here i wanted to ask if for the animations are used the low res model with normalmaps/displacements or higher pollycount models exported from ZBrush - for render purposes ? know a person saying in animations inserted in games they still use uge polycounts for models ?

Impressive,Cool,and very inspirational.

Stunning work!!! Amazing things:+1:

wow…nice models…:+1:

Stunning work…Lil’ sister

“I was using 3ds max 8 for the basemeshes then modeling and texturing in zbrush2 (I’ve also used photoshop cs for the texturing) then back in max for the renders and shaders.”

Are they Mental Ray renders? … and your shaders are superb, any way of getting info about them?

thanks again for the inspiration.

just…WOW very impressive!

Amazing!
Great work!:grimacing:

Gendragon

Fantasmagorerific work guys, really this goes to show the depth of gaming, my only regret will be that Ubisoft will never do a tutorial on how to acheive this great skin shader of yours …

Good work

That is some of the best modeling and texturing I have ever scene. Awesome work.

wow man!

I visited your galery and I aded it to my bookmarks… :slight_smile: I like your realistic stile and those works helps me a lot!

Superbe work man!!
and your black models are amazing!

Everything has already been said, but just wanted to congratulate you. These are truly amazing characters. Excellent work!

sublime work…nothing to criticise actualy. 5 stars from me…i would have actualy gave you 7 if i could. Congrats:+1:

on a side note… can you please tell Jade Raymond that i love her? :smiley: …thanks

Thanks so much for your kind words I’m humbled by it,

-Seb thanks man, (I wish the others would show what they did, it's quite impressive) .

-Rodrigue thank you very much! :)

-Hyper thanks man! 

I am going to give more infos about the workflow!

I am going to take a head as an exemple for the polycount.
                 this is the way I worked on AC. 
               First a mid-res in 3ds max 8 at about 4000 polys (of course once you get a nice basemesh with good UVs you don't restart it all the time, of course I improved it with time) then I was doing the base of my texture (refined later when the modeling was done).
                 once in ZB2 the model was a bout 2 million polys max. then I would go back to the 4th sub-divs (the highest being around 6 or 7 subdivisions) then generate a normal in Zmapper.
                 the final step is importing my mesh setting up the lights and making my shaders (for the skin mental ray and standard for accessories). I don't always use mental ray but when I did it was on my own time so I will share my shader with you guys.
                Now about the low-res. Once the high-res was done and approved (with textures shaders and lights) I would use the standard low-res head that everyone had to use (to recycle skinning) and baked a normal, specular and diffuse map. the head was about 1200 polys).

As for the time it took for a full high-res/low-res character:
     when I started we had 3 weeks to give something.
as we got better and faster it was 2 weeks but for most of the producton it was a week (week and half max).

this is a few exemples of NPC heads I've done. 

[<!--[attach=63677]low_faces.jpg[/attach]-->]

my skin shader in mental ray.

[<!--[attach=63678]skin-material-d.giraud.jpg[/attach]-->]

Another render of the big guy using the skin shader above.

[<!--[attach=63679]vigilante_face.jpg[/attach]-->]![low_faces.jpg|867x1153](upload://88IB3j72dz3lG29ZuGpjqipreGX.jpeg)![skin-material-d.giraud.jpg|442x1152](upload://73NQvChKCIzaCoMVMPdACDbnLPo.jpeg)![vigilante_face.jpg|868x486](upload://tEQoMz1odHaNntQ92X4VGK47CjT.jpeg)

Absolutely brilliant work - hope to work with you guys one day :smiley: Working hard on my reel :wink: Thanks a bunch for a shader. Can You tell me if You guys use Maya in your work-flow as well or mostly 3dsmax and xsi? Appreciate answer :wink:

Thanks for your generosity !!!
your work speaks of a great sense of accomplishment…

Awesome work man, I’m glad you showed you magic. I hope the other guys do the same soon, what you all created fot this project is huge! Cheers! :+1:

once in ZB2 the model was a bout 2 million polys max. then I would go back to the 4th sub-divs (the highest is around 6M or even 7M) then generate a normal in Zmapper.
the final step is importing my mesh setting up the lights and making my shaders (for the skin mental ray and standard for accessories). I don’t always use mental ray but when I did it was on my own time so I will share my shader with you guys.
Now about the low-res. Once the high-res was done and approved (with textures shaders and lights) I would use the standard low-res head that everyone had to use (to recycle skinning) and baked a normal, specular and diffuse map. the head was about 1200 polys).
hi there, i am a little confused…

if your model is maximum 2M poly then how is it that your highest is 6M o 7M ? why are you baking your specular and diffuse? and how is mental ray shader affecting your baked texture, or is that just for the high res renders?

Yes you are right 6 or 7 subdivisions!!! LOL :wink:

First of all let me thank you for your brilliant artwork, and that you share your fun and knowledge with us in 3d.

@3dsmax render:
Your final posted render looks awesome. We can see that you used the kichen.hdr and all your material settings, that’s great.

What I can’t see is the light setup. Or didn’t you use any other lights for your render ?

It would be great, if you could make us an example file with a standard primitve like a sphere inlcuding your skin shader and just a part of your texture mapped on the sphere - so we can see the connex to the whole scene file. I like so much your clean daylight render look.

We would get a much better understanding in all the settings, and it woould be a big pleasure for us all to study your scene file, so we can learn from you.

Thank you very much for all your efforts, and for this great eyecandy.
I really appreciate that much,

thank you, thank you, thank you,
capu

p.s.: could see the interview on pixologic… yes, I really love you guys… that’s why I love 3d - thank you !