ZBrushCentral

Anatomypunk

Awesome!!! Very, very cool. How did you skin the last view of the ecorché?

Thank you, I appreciate it :slight_smile:
The skin is manually sculpted with the bone structure and muscles underneath it (that way, if something looks odd with the skin on then something is wrong underneath). Sometimes I do a “project all” on top of the muscles and then with a brush “add” fat, skin etc. Works really good in the lower leg area but not so much on areas like the forearm due to all the tendons which creates ugly geometry when projected on. The side of the ribcage also started with a “project all” and then after that flesh added on.
:slight_smile:

Amazing!!! Thanks for the answer. I was wondering if merging all the subtools into one single subtool and then doing a re-dynamesh of everything may also work. This thread is top row to me!!! Beautiful anatomy and beautiful sculpts. Keep up the great work!!!

Thank you Ruso for you kind words :slight_smile:
I did experiment some with merging all subtools (lowrez version) and doing a dynamesh on it. Only problem I ran into then was how to fill all the holes caused by empty spaces. I tried doing zsketch to fill the holes, which did work well, but in the end I ended up with a puzzle with no real sculpting done :slight_smile: Can’t wait for Zbrush 64-bit, there are many times I hit the memory limit when doing operations on the ecorché. Wishlist for Santa :smiley:

By the way, your work is really nice, seen it many times before. The step-by-step you did for the warrior poster helped me when planing the illustrations :slight_smile:

Thank you very much, Alexander. Really appreciate it!!! And coming from a great artist as yourself you have just made my day! :slight_smile:

One more question, Alexander. How do you manage to pose the sculpt with all the bones and muscles inside? Do you use transpose master or do you just pose each subtool separately to avoid deformations (specially with the bones)?

As many questions as you want :slight_smile: Um, the setup I have depends on the workflow for different kind of projects. I have about 23 subtools with 5 sDiv levels on each, that way I can lower the polycount for when doing fast sketching and then just up the resolution when detailing. A subtool could be spine (all vertebraes as one polygroup and then separated when needed), spinous ligaments, ribs, sternum, costal cartilage, all the back muscles and neck muscles. This way I can very quickly try out diferent proportions and poses (bending etc) with everything following along. A bit difficult to explain, will post a video for you in the next few days where I sketch a character :slight_smile:

Cool!!! Thanks a lot, Alexander. Eagerly waiting for that video. :slight_smile:

Hello Ruso, here are those videos I promised you :slight_smile: The first one shows the setup of one of the subtools (all subtools are grouped the same way). I’m also attaching an image showing the polyframe of the same tool.

Link to the video for the setup:

Thank you soooooo much for these videos, Alexander. It’s a great idea to group the subtools in “systems”. Much easier to pose and sketch the sculpt with that setup. You have no idea how useful this have been for me. I’m struggling with my own ecorché and as I have too many individual subtools every time I have to do modifications it’s almost impossible. I’m definitely going to try a similar setup. Thank you so much for your patience to answer my questions. Really, really appreciate it. All the best, :slight_smile:

BTW your sculpt looks even more awesome on video. Congratulations!

Hi Ruso,

You’re welcome :slight_smile: I’m glad the videos helped. I’m happy for the movie-function in Zbrush, makes life easier when recording something.
Looking forward to your updates. Take care!

Alexander

very nice work … looking forward to more

Spectacular stuff. Cheers

Hello,

just wanted to add some new stuff. The purpose of this project was to refine the workflow, with focus on flexibility and speed. I managed to get down to about 4-5 hours per figure from scratch (from about 20 hours). Also, I experimented some with projection (Project all) which is the reason why things goes faster now. All of the figures below have been designed inside out and then got the skin projected on top of the muscle and skeletal structure (I do jump a lot back and fourth between skeletal, muscle and skin. Project-all is very forgiving). On top of that only fat and some wrinkles was added. I like the idea of designing the anatomy this way since it minimises the risk of bad design due to sloppy sculpting. I also tried to make them different from each other. This is something I really struggle with, I keep repeating certain designs which becomes very obvious in the end. Hopefully with some more practice I’ll get better at it.

Hope you like it :slight_smile:
Alexander

Turntable:

Last one, promise :slight_smile:

Turntable:

O/MI: Thank you, I appreciate it :slight_smile:

cherub_rock: Thank you :slight_smile:

good job, thanks for sharing, this really well done, and many hours
congratulations;)

Thank you, I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Quality work Alexander, congrats! Thanks alot for sharing all this with us :slight_smile:

Thank you for your words Nick, I appreciate it :slight_smile: