ZBrushCentral

AlphaCentury, a Terrain Creation Tutorial

Spectacular Vistas guys! Cept I figured we would have mapped out the known universe by now. I know I am hooked, these are too much fun to make.

This one is a moon of Uranus, complete with a river of methane. Sounds appropriate eh? Wonder if there are any of those Gnarlolites about, seem like thier kinda of place.

All these images are sooooo neat! Digits, i absolutely love those three little guys standing there. Perfect finishing touch!

Sylvia

doing terrains the pixoway is mucho fun :smiley: and it is a great joy to see all those fantastico vistas shown here meanwhile, ZBs… keep them coming!

here is another quick one, the first pic transmitted by the discoverers of Bloka Nui (antarctica), in which i made experimental use of a few of the new Digit’s scripts (pixolpaint in the "sea"part and the gradients for the rest) and Ed_the_Atom’s blokehead (once more :wink: ).

Juandel I proclaim you a Master of Widgetry, a title not given out casually! I have heard of these Bloka Nui, they later became the Polygonishuns and settled the South Pacific. You see, Every night, and it is a long one in Antartica, the great Bloke in the sky required of them to dance naked around his statutes. Needless to say they froze thier little tushes off, literaly they just broke off and smashed frozen into little shards on the tundra. Well, they soon had enough of that and buttless they built boats and sailed onwards to where the Coconut Oil doesn’t freeze. And you know the rest, you can see some of these Blokes today if you travel to Easter Island.

NOTE!!!
I almost forgot another piece of trivia concerning the Bloka Nui. You know those giant fissures in the ice up in Antartica? Well they are proof that the Bloka Nui did actually lose thier butts 1000’s of years ago because thier little cracks are still visible today. Incidently, some Bloka Nui found that they did miss the cold weather and so split off from the tribe and settled in Sweden to become the Vikings. By and by they discovered America long before Columbus but they were having so much fun raiding and pillaging Europe and the Indians there did not have much in the way of plunder, so they sailed back to the Northlands for better pickings. You didn’t know I knew all this stuff did you?

no, Digits, i didn’t know that you knew! :smiley: you keep surprising me! now among all your other skills you are the Floyd Heyerdahl of BlokaNuimigrations, too! kudos!

i am very honored to have been given that title, Digits! after all i am a widgetry-newbie and most of the results i achieve that i think worthwhile sharing are a matter of good luck and the fascinating and often surprising power of your fantastico scripts. i think that is why it is so much fun and addictive to expriment with them. thank you for your generosity of sharing those wonderful tools!

i made little use of them in the one below, though. just some color-gradienting :smiley: on the gears in the mist. the rest is the shmoov alphaterraining © pixolator move using a few gears on top of each other for the first alpha which was then applied with the 3d-brush to create the one finally applied to the plane.

• juandel
    (out to have a beer and ponder strange theories about the history of gearland) :smiley:

These just keep getting better and better, I love how you have gotten the curtain edge waatoosie going in the terrain and the gears in the mist itself is just cooldaddio.

Hopefully this thread won’t die before we see some more efforts. I like this stuff soo much that with everyone’s permission I would like to include a whole terrain gallery at Z-Place.

Hmmm, Gearland seems to be mysteriously shrouded from my far-Sight perhaps after a few of those fine Austrian beers you could tell us more about it :slight_smile:

ahm… got a bit distracted. :smiley: hope to be in edit-mode in about 6-8 hrs.

Zee you then
·.¸¸.·´¯·.¸¸.·´¯`·> juandel <–

KPT masks make cool terrains too, don’t worry I will soon tire of em :slight_smile:

Wow. I just love the wonkiness of what you folks do! Sigh. I must get in touch with a couple of my other selves methinks.

Heres’ a very lame one. But, hey, it’s a start. Horse added post (all the tools I made to stick there just looked out of place so I gave up) and I have my spit shield on so flaming me for that is okay. :wink:

But I’ll add to the thread anyway. Bwa hah hah :slight_smile: At least it’s better than my incredible nose hairs pic. :smiley:

Sylvia

Thanks Pixolator. Great script. Just what I needed. I had been busy doing other things and hadn’t had time to post a request so this is really really great. Like getting a present.
And Juandel your pics are lovely.
Thanks again
:eek:

curaduk: thank you for your compliments! :smiley: i hope to see your landscapes around here soonissimost!

Sylvia: i lovelovelove your “lame” one. very dreamlike and welldone… i am sure you’ll meet fascinating and lovely other selfs when you start looking for them! :wink:

Digits: my vague ideas of what wonkiness means have taken shape in your last wonderfully psychoartistic masterpiece :smiley: fractalissimo! those transparent spheres below the head are outstanding details in this overall fantastico pic! doubtlessly my new favorite of yours! as i indulged into some rather hardcore-bohemian-beering yesternite i could not come up with thoughtful theories about gearland, except that i think its a place where judy gearland might dance robotic rumbas with gyro gearloose. i leave my message above unedited as a warning proof of the abuse of starobrno-beer. as for your planned galleria: count me in, amigo! :smiley:

• juandel

Sigh…

Does everyone watch the scripts and then try to recreate everything by memory? I’ve tried 3 times to have 2 windows open, one to watch and one to work on, and zbrush keeps crashing. :frowning: Not only that, when I click on the window I’m working on the script in the other window automatically progresses forward. If you guys aren’t using the scripts this way, how are you remembering all of the steps? I feel like such a dumbass!

sigh

Cricket your landscape is definitely not lame, it is wonderful. If anyone spits on you in this forum let me know, I know someone who would break thier legs for free :slight_smile:

Stacey
I take it you are trying to use the split-screen feature. Doesn’t work that way, it only gives you a different view of the main canvas. So, you can’t be working on it while a script is running because it is running in that window as well.
What you could do is slow the script down with a function in the zscript pallete. There are places where the scripts stops waiting for you to click. Use a notepad and write down the steps. Also you can just run the script over a few times til you feel comfortable with the steps.

Hope this helps

Actually I have 2 instances of Zbrush open, one on each monitor. Seems funny to take something so automated and have to write it all down. Ahhh well.

Thanks Digits :slight_smile:

though they were a bit nervous because they had left without an order “ant” and “onio” were more than happy when they saw the outskirts of Zant-metropolis. their private quest to seize the honey-grail had ended in a complete desaster but they returned with some useful informations for her majesty.

fantastico ant-tool © Kathy, colored the alphascape using Digit’s Color_Widget. rendered with much tweaking in the adjustment-settings. the sky is basically another alphascape (the same as the ground ones - there are three identical planes on the ground with different squeezing in size-transformation mode - but rotated) hidden below a few 2.5d brushes. having worked on a standard canvas the snakehookhairs drawn at the ant’s antennas at size 2 alias like hell. i should have used the photoshop airbrush but i wanted this to be 100% ZBrush. hope you like it.

Stacey: each time i do it, i forget something else :wink: but basically it’s very easy and a very neato way to make vistas, methinks. don’t know about other apps but i doubt i could do similar things there within short time. i can’t wait to see your 1st landscape around here :smiley:

• juandel

Fantastic!!! Thank you for your very kind feedback and participation in this thread :slight_smile:

The top of this thread has been updated to include links to all the images in this thread.
The gallery will be updated when new images are added.

Juandel I think your ant’s eye view is the best yet! Great depth, color and interest, simply magic!

I wanted to save threads like this one for posterity, and Pixolator was wonderful enough to include them into the front page. I have started The ZBCentral’s Thread Hall of Fame at Z-Place. From thence forth, unless I get lazy, threads of interest and threads the beat the one page barrier I will link so that there will be a quick index of goodies here that have faded away.

ZBCentral Threads Hall of Fame

I hate to have this based totally on my own questionable taste so anyone that would like to suggest a thread to be included give me a hoot.

Also anyone who has the notion, the time and the inspiration I would happily accept any web graphics that you would care to donate for the pages of Z-Place. I am a lazy webmaster :slight_smile:

Finally…

this tutorial was really difficult for me for some reason :frowning: I couldn’t get the look I was going for, specifically more texture. I’ll work through it a few more times :slight_smile:

I really appreciate how good all of you are, when I work in Z myself!

I think the shading on that is very very nice, Stacey. The colors too. And the fog! LOL that’s about everything.

I have trouble with the same thing. When Pixolator does it, it seems like his brush is simply revealing what is already there in the landscape. It’s so natural. When I do it, it’s a mess. :frowning: I keep saying to myself ‘The light is from the left. The light is from the left.’ Then I go and paint my highlights backwards anyway. :smiley:

Wow! Thanks Pixolator for the great terrain tutorial…another one for practice, practice, practice but, I’ll throw my first try in here. Not as terrainy as most but it seems I kept doing upside down stalagtites or whatever they’re called. :smiley: So, I tried to tone it down a bit.

Everyone has done some terrific terrains! I love them all!

Here’s my contribution to this thread… :wink:

“Getting ready for Halloween”