ZBrushCentral

A little challenge...

Well, here I’ve opened Igor’s jaw and twisted to his left (dislocated) and for good measure rotated the chin portion around the z-axis just to make it painful. After I’m done with Igor I will have to try this on a few more characters to see what the real limitations are. However at present, if you have the base right and model from that, it seems quite reliable and predictable. :wink:

Picture 34.jpg

Well, I might actually get to finish this and post it on the Halloween link. :wink:

As you can see Igor is posable and developing nicely. I can twitch his ears, eyes, jaw and nose with thte current zsphere setup.

More to work out…

Picture 35.jpg

Hi Jason. This thread and the others you have linked in it are just fantastic.

Also, thanks. I tried something similar to your head setup (with the jaw). He’s looks like he’s been in a bad barfight where he got kicked in the head repeatedly while laying on the ground, but nevertheless, I was able to get the basic shape of the head to the point where I was satisfied with it. That’s a first for me.

Thanks again. Please keep posting. :smiley:

neat work… reminds me of a mummy.

I like your shader also :slight_smile:

thanks for shareing with us :slight_smile:

Looking good. Cool technique, given that you’re finding it reliable and repeatable. :+1:

OK, just a reminder the basic toon shader is attached in one of my links, modded a lot, but the basics are present.

Polaris30, I’m glad, he is. :wink:

Thanks Moochie. It is repeatable which is the key to creativity and speed.

Billrobertson42, post your success!

I see 2 areas with the new head setup that I dislike, but I may have a solution. Funny how after several hundred attempts you start to see patterns. :wink:

Ok. Modded a bit with out issues (tears) at the mouth hinge. This seems to work, and shows a smooth progression from back jawbone through to chin, which is usually an area of compromise. Limited control exists to open/close the jaw and wiggle it side to side. Of course, yee, ear and nose can still be moved easily. Trying a few more things between concept work today. I hope.

:wink:

[attach=20118]Picture 38.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Picture 38.jpg

Worked another one in, seem sto hold mustard now with a small change. I’ll play with this a bit before psoting the zsphere rig and explanation. :wink:

Picture 39.jpg

hoh cool!

look just like a young Jerry Lewis :):+1:

neat stuff :sunglasses:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Well, things are progressing, seems I’m following the theme for this time of year as it is fun. I hope to have a gallery of heads using this new approach for the Halloween thread before months end. Back to real work now… :wink:

Picture 40.jpg

OK last update for this guy, next one and a little more mobility. I’d post the zsphere, but we all know what happens - ouch! :wink:

Picture 43.jpg

Hi, Jason! Hey this thread has really taken off. Thanks for the wake-up call. You’re working out a nice technique. I really like your little guy with the glasses and hope to see your entry in the Halloween Gallery. I’m planning one too, maybe I’ll get started tonight. it should be good this year, so much new talent. See ya later, Rich.

OK, I think I have a viable solution, at least it doesn’t break! This is the first image with this process which evolves from the previous 3 over the last few days. Each time keeping what worke so well previously and adding to it. I tlooks weird, but it seems to work. I have noticed that when modeling the lower jaw you will have to adjust the pose to ensure you model the coming together with the upper jaw correctly, I just learnt that! Note: you will adjust by rotation both bones for the lower jaw to move the lower jaw. Make sure you store the morph of the zspheres BEFORE modeling. I hope to see others posting some success. I now must evolve this character into the next part of my contribution to the Halloween gallery. :wink:

Picture 46.jpg

So here is fixed and ready for transormation, this new zsphere setup seems to continue providing a nice flow. :wink:

Picture 49.jpg

hey jason!

you are getting excelent results for such difficult face models!
i have a newb question for you about zspheres :
How to you deal with hidden geometry created by 2 children overlapping?
You see in this little african statue , her back shows the problem…
This is probably even harder with your face models…
Do you just use membrane parameter ? hidden children ? add geometry ?
I always end up with unusable geometry when starting from zsphere because of this. (I like using this kind of shapes but it becomes a nightmare to use later)
Here is the example :
thank you!

dame.jpg

Hello janimatic, pull them farther apart. :wink:

The zsphere structure is really closer to a wire frame/armature for sculpting. You don’t want intersections though, messy geometry and screwey textures.

Then grab the xyz script/plugin, it will really help.

check out… for some good setups.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=9904&highlight=zsphere+challenge

OK, work to do until tomorrow… So here he is evolving… :wink:

Picture 51.jpg

Attachments

Picture 50.jpg

[attach=20239]Picture 52.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Picture 52.jpg

Picture 53.jpg

Diggin your progressions here

diggin the material even more…nice carved ivory look to it.

forget work…keep playing!:rolleyes: