ZBrushCentral

9months in Zbrush and

Hi everyone including Pixelogic. So as you read from the topic. I’m 9months in…from Jan 3rd 2020 to now(Sept 11th). I’ve been on zBrush everyday for 6-8hrs(including weekends)… I’m here because I want to hear you guys/gals experience as a newbie Zbrush artist to a professional pathway career. What kind of steps did you take and how long did it take you to feel confident enough to show your art to others(especially a recruiter)???

Thanks in advance for the feedback everyone. I’ll will show my 1st ever sculpt to now…so you can see how far I’ve improved

So, things are different for me. I am a professional that was working in the industry that started using ZBrush in my workflow many years ago. I tell all artists, it is about the final product and making the client happy, not always the tools that you used to create the product. ZBrush was a godsend when I discovered it, and it is a big part of many of the artists within my two companies’ workflow. However, there is so much more that goes into being a 3D artist. It is the skills to do the job and understand the project.
Like a carpenter building a house, I don’t care if you use DeWalt or Ryobi to build my house, just get it done, make sure it will hold up, and make my home beautiful. LOL!

Now, learning ZBrush is fantastic, but what you do with it is even more critical.

Here is what I would ask if I were interviewing you. This is me, and not everyone will agree.
What is your industry focus? Gaming [Gaming is a whole different set of skills that I am not qualified to talk about.]? Movies, Animation Shorts? Advertising? - Focus is essential, and that is what your portfolio should show, your area of focus.
What is your goto animation program? Maya? C4D? Max? In my studio, I would require that you know Maya and C4D.
What are your rigging skills?
Do you ONLY sculpt?
Can you export your models? Based on your images above, it looks like you haven’t mastered the exporting of stills yet. I only say this based on your pictures above, and you might have capped the screen this way for some other reason. Make sense?

Now, I have always shown my work to others, even when it is has been subpar. The reason is I want to learn. I want to be critiqued. My problem is I start things, show the work in progress, and then never show the final image. LOL! My point is, don’t be afraid of the criticism. We get thick skin from it and learn from the best.

When do you show your book? When it is filled with enough examples of work that can demonstrate to an Art Director or recruiter that you can work on their specific project. If you are going for a medical animation job, make sure you have medical in your portfolio. If you are going for advertising, make sure you have effects and commercial looking things.

I have over 30 years working in this industry, and I am amazed by all of the talent out there today! You have talent, I can see it. I think you just need a little more focus. Again, this is coming from me, who works on a different side. Many others will tell you something completely different. Take in as much as you can and learn. Remember, you can learn on the fly, many of us do. I know this was a bit of a ramble, but I hope it was somewhat beneficial. Feel free to follow up with questions.

Thomxtreme. Wow, this was a very refreshing response. Thanks brotha. Your response is very clear and I do understand that the industry could be tough. I do have a few follow up questions. I wanna fall into gaming or commercial because I love sculpting anatomy(human, monster, alien or animal). You are right. I haven’t mastered lighting, render and exporting. I just took a screen shot of it and cropped it to fit on here. Which I know isn’t professional but I just wanted to show my latest work.

#1: should I have a range of sculpts? Meaning not just one range(like just doing human beings)??

#2: should I know other programs as well? Or should I learn Zbrush even more before I start getting into Blender or Maya??

#3: is it necessary to involve other software for color, clothing, hair? Or can I soley use Zbrush for all of this??

#4: sometimes I get overwhelmed by seeing the talented Zbrush sculptures and I tell myself, will I really get to there level. Is there something I should tell myself when I get overwhelmed???

I wanna thank you I’m advance if you reply to this message, and I really appreciate the help/advice. I really do.

@winter_ramos

THOMXTREME. I just wanna thank you for really answering my questions. I will take all of your advice with a grain of salt. There’s always room for learning and improvement. I will post my progression like in 3-5months. Great advice on #4 it’ll take time…so I know I just gotta be patient.

Thanks again

1 Like

@winter_ramos I meant to send this to you yesterday. Shane Olson has some excellent streams here on ZBrushLive and on his website, https://www.3dcharacterworkshop.com/
If you are going to get into gaming, his streams are very helpful for that community.
Enjoy!

1 Like

I appreciate the link THOMXTREME. I will be checking it out asap