ZBrushCentral

3D Prints Cheap+Good (Free Print Game is ON P.3!)

Oh thanks guys for all the suggestions and feedback. I seriously think about each comment and figure out how to deliver. Spaceboy, you’re the best, I’ve been reading some of your posts for the last two years. Thanks for the help!

Oh, a little about the color process. Although I write this on the color wiki link when you checkout. We try to minimize as much of hand eye as possible. I use a Colormunki Photo, Colormunki Design, and an Eye-One to synchronize colors between our internal computers and on our design printouts. These are color spectrometers. We then use a pantone system to pick paints but sometimes we finish mixing the paint according to what the computer and pantone books say and are like WTF. IT doesn’t look like the color in zbrush at all! Like hellboy, I was kinda sad cause we painted him 3 times! One layer on top of another, so a lot of the original details got washed away. Thanks to Rafael for coaching us through it and being really supportive though.

One issue is that a lot of the complex shaders in zbrush cannot be achieved with a single or even two layers of paint. It’s like the sound that the phone makes when you pick it up. Anyone see the movie Adaptation? That sound needs two people to sing at the same time. This is a technique I’m still working on.

No prob, “shotokan” was the inspiration for the name. Cheap prints later sound great! ( If I forget to send a prop… )

Oh, please consider using Paypal. I think your business will skyrocket!

Really? Ok, I’ll add paypal. I have to rethink when people pay for their models… because I dont want to charge people or ask them to paypal anything until the model starts printing. Gonna redo the whole thing~

Just got a print done sorry this one took 20+ hrs.

But its only just starting cause the hard part begins now -_-. I put the print next to some every day objects so you can see what 200/210mm looks like. Sorry, I dunno what the orc is doing to my wacom stylus.

[<span class="grey">[attach=117213]gorge_port.jpg[/attach]</span>]![gorge_port.jpg|1200x506](upload://c8FCU4szVxhgtsSuCw9LPNiVT9R.jpeg) [<span class="grey">[attach=117214]whats_going_on_with_orc.jpg[/attach]</span>]![whats_going_on_with_orc.jpg|1068x712](upload://uXE4qSpJLqEhcV41xQZTOYvaJq3.jpeg)

[[attach=117215]haruhi_is_a_rude_girl.jpg[/attach]]haruhi_is_a_rude_girl.jpg

Also a closeup with macro lens to show the surface straight out of print.

[[attach=117217]jorge_no_stairstep.jpg[/attach]]jorge_no_stairstep.jpg

Also, see how the model is like transparent white -_-. Which makes it doubly hard to see the details. Hence minimum grey primer paint is needed cause we need to be able to see what we just printed and get started on the next step. More pics of the next step soon (gonna program today, start paint maybe tmr)! The goal is to do something bronze this time around since we don’t have any color renders to work with.

[[attach=117218]jorge_bronze.jpg[/attach]]jorge_bronze.jpg

Also did a new sniper at 200mm and a vampire bust which I can show once I primer them.

Stay tuned… gonna have some contests for free prints coming up. You don’t even have to ZBrush, just have to solve a riddle and be the first with the right answer.

yay i just learned how to inline images! ^^

<-- vbBulletin noob

Um… also, I would like to thank LT for letting me borrow his canon 450d, even though i have no idea what i’m doing. but it works so great! I just wish I knew a little more about lighting.

Thanks to Rafael and MasterShokhan and all you others who PM’d me with ideas to fix the website. I’m almost done redoing the entire order system. But if you would still like your ownage prints done right now, just PM me.

When taking picture of something white liek that, it’s better to have a slightly darker area, and a bright light shining on it from one side… details will become apparant then.

Did the ribbing come through on his knee guards?

It’s also GREAT you included your wacom pen in one pic… that gives me a perfect size comparison!

I’ve got a critter that might be interesting to print… but he’s similar to a cow… how tall would he come out with your process? Here’s a image of him…
[attach=117234]zbrush.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

zbrush.jpg

awesome so far, thanks for all the extra info and the pics. i’d like to see the mohawk to get some sense of detail. i noticed much washed out in the hellboy, i know you’re refining the process so maybe thats all thats about.
personally i would still prefer to just get the model as printed and primer it myself, especially if your primer is knocking out the detail as seen in the hellboy. do you use acrylic or enamel primer?
also in relation to garee’s post are you willing to do things like that or even say Rodin type sculptures or are you just staying action figure based?
what is the smallest detail available with your machine?
i’m really excited so far please don’t take any of this as negative, just my observations.

I also would want the raw 3d print, and not a primered one. I’d want to decorate it myself. if it needs special primering, providing that info would be fine, and it would reduce developement time and costs as well.

No matter what model I use- even a simple cube or plane will explode.Any help would be great.

i noticed you removed that you’re using a SLA process, any reason for that? this is what made me curious about the resolution.
also i just read you use enamels i know there are issues with painting enamels and acrylics on top of each other, this is another reason why self primering would be best.

Hehe… that birdo dragon thingee’s got a lot of dark meat. I’ve actually not done anything like that before so I’d probably pick a good round number… like 160mm and see how it looks. But if you want it in 200, I’ll do that too :smiley: .

Spaceboy! I love all your comments. So keep them coming. Also wanna shout out to Lemonnado and BillRobertson and all the other RP'ers on zbc. Oh.. hehe.. i went over some of my posts and edited cause I thought I was starting to ramble and sound unprofessional. Plus I felt like 90% of this thread was just me blabbing. So trying to shorten things and let pictures do the talking. I'm definitely up for all these suggestions. Can do things in acrylic if you guys want. I think I'm using enamel as a design choice right now cause they feel so luxurious to the touch, plus they give a little extra strength to the parts (like PVC rubber feel). The primer coat is so thin that nothing changes. It's the color paint afterwards that washes things out right now.

Oops sorry, I’m not using enamel, I’m using Mr. Color right now… so that makes it lacquer (lost in translation!).

I'm gonna start the paint on 2 of the models right now. 200mm sniper will probably have to wait for tmr. Also doing another model that just came in. Will take pictures and update soon!

sneak peak… extremely wip

[[color=#9A9A9A][attach=117390]face.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘117390’,‘face.jpg’,1,0))
[[color=#9A9A9A][attach=117391]belt.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘117391’,‘belt.jpg’,1,0))

[[color=#9A9A9A][attach=117392]gorge_wip1.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘117392’,‘gorge_wip1.jpg’,1,0))
[[color=#9A9A9A][attach=117393]gorge_wip2.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘117393’,‘gorge_wip2.jpg’,1,0))
[[color=#9A9A9A][attach=117394]gorge_wip3.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘117394’,‘gorge_wip3.jpg’,1,0))
[[color=#9A9A9A][attach=117395]gorge_wip4.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘117395’,‘gorge_wip4.jpg’,1,0))

[[color=#9A9A9A][attach=117396]vamp_posed.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘117396’,‘vamp_posed.jpg’,1,0))
[[color=#9A9A9A][attach=117397]vamps_wip2.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘117397’,‘vamps_wip2.jpg’,1,0))
[[color=#9A9A9A][attach=117398]vamps_wip1.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘117397’,‘vamps_wip2.jpg’,1,0))

The dusty stuff is baby powder. No sanding or Mr Surfacer 1000 yet.

Going paint shopping. The photo tips were really helpful! Thx Garee~

Free Print Contest in 2-3 days.

Attachments

face.jpg

belt.jpg

gorge_wip1.jpg

gorge_wip2.jpg

gorge_wip3.jpg

gorge_wip4.jpg

vamp_posed.jpg

vamps_wip2.jpg

vamps_wip1.jpg

Just to clarify, models are 200mm from toe to head. This is actually 8 inches (I’m gonna update the website and wiki and all the other places I say 9 inches). Hair, helmets, wings, horns, etc are free, and they push the model above 200mm.

I dunno how to measure a model thats non-humonoid so I’m open to suggestions.

Models that aren’t standing straight, I use a string to guesstimate and try to give you the benefit of the doubt in height. I’m also pretty open to custom heights up to a point, so don’t be afraid to ask.

Almost done updating the order system… its just really complicated to design something that is really simple and user friendly… sry!

looking hooott man !! :+1:

ps: i think it should be moved to the main forum.

dude… its cause the model you made was so hawt! i’m just trying my best to get it back to where it originally was. :laughing:

finished vamps… just need to wetsand the base a little more.

for color inspiration, raf wanted me to use the skyfisherman by offload studios… so thats basically what i did, except that I added a little red to the color cause of the whole vampire thing…

[[attach=117530]ABilgic_SkyFisherman_04.jpg[/attach]]ABilgic_SkyFisherman_04.jpg
[[attach=117531]vamp_posed.jpg[/attach]]vamp_posed.jpg
[[attach=117532]vamps1.jpg[/attach]]vamps1.jpg
[[attach=117533]vamps2.jpg[/attach]]vamps2.jpg
[[attach=117534]vamps3.jpg[/attach]]vamps3.jpg
[[attach=117535]vamps4.jpg[/attach]]vamps4.jpg

I’m like halfway done with the marine. While I was painting vamps, I thought the colors on this tray were nice, so this is the color pallette I decided to use… the kind of rusted brown color for the base color and a very faint black for the cavities. Rendered a matcap in zbrush but I’ll post it later when I’m in front of my PC.

[[attach=117537]hellboy_pallette.jpg[/attach]]hellboy_pallette.jpg

Oh… please dont upload anything more on ownage, I’m gonna dump all existing uploads and dump the completed orders and start the database afresh for the new order system. User accounts will be safe. Thx for your patience :slight_smile:

Oh and thx all for the photography tips. I’m slowly emerging from camera noobdom (pictures less blurry). I’m also making liberal use of Garee’s “light from one side” trick.

great work on this one man!
keep updating :slight_smile:

thanks for the newest photos they do show more of the detail, nice painting too!

Sounds very much like this:

http://offloadstudios.com/core/