ZBrushCentral

27 days and counting

27 days left to start vacation. :surfing_man::rowing_man::swimming_man::golfing_man::hamburger::popcorn::doughnut::beer::earth_americas::beach_umbrella::confetti_ball:
After that I will be some good weeks without zbrush
So I decided to do something to satisfy my desire to sculpt
Just modeling, starting from manequins to practice anatomy and also observation.
I will be doing this during my free time and documenting here.
My subject of study will be an illustration of land of terror.
History by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Concept by Frank Frazetta

lotFF

17 Likes

One day is gone and here is the result of the first day of the journey…

6 Likes

Great use of manequins to establish a scene with characters quickly :wink:
Jaime

1 Like

tks @Jaime =)
They are really great!
Especially for planning dynamic poses like this, I love the feeling of movement, I’ve been trying to achieve that with my studies, it’s my favorite part.
The more I study and understand the human anatomy, the less painful it is to make models like this, I find myself having so much fun doing something like this today, but every day I learn something new that makes the process easier, it’s a never-ending journey :nerd_face:

Well that’s the end of the second day.
In this first step I will put the information.
And then come back and work on top of the shapes.
All without symmetry just to make things easier :rofl:
Following are some closeups and also an overall scene.

see you tomorrow.
7 Likes

Yup, manequins are a great visually and for quick poses, this is taking shape rapidly @Deryck :clap: So cool!
Jaime

1 Like

Great choice Deryck!!

1 Like

Oh boy! can’t wait to see this Frank Fazetta piece finished!!

1 Like

Thank you @Jaime I’m having fun making these shapes :smiley:
@nilbertoTawata I love this art, especially the sense of movement it has, I will try to bring that feeling to sculpture :wink:
@Predator2020 only twenty-five days left , stick around to see :blush:

End of the third day.
Lots of work to do, but I’m really enjoing the process.
After putting volume on everything I will go back and try to get as close to the image as possible.
Following are some closeups and also an overall scene.

4 Likes

I think for now that solves both the male and female characters, these basic forms are enough to tell the story.
Once I have the whole scene, I will go back to each character individually and refine the anatomy, the face and other things.
I spent a long time trying to find the male character’s hair movement, but I think it will work, I know it looks like a mess now, but it will work I hope :sweat_smile:
end of day four

5 Likes

I love your anatomy skills!

1 Like

Hi @nebular
I’ve been studying a lot lately, I feel much more comfortable making my models without symmetry and in the most diverse poses, one of the things that I did that helped me a lot to understand the body was the skeleton, and also understand the origin and intersection of the muscles. This was very useful especially when it comes to portraying the body in motion. There is still much to learn, I will continue studying, thank you very much for the kind words :blush:

Sometimes I get the skeleton we have in zbrush tools and I put him under the manequins.
This can greatly help to see the body’s LandMarks.
That way I can put the key muscles in the right places by hitting the origins and insertions.
After that I can trust my observation and put the volumes I have as close as possible to the reference.

end of the fifth day.

6 Likes

Amazing to see how you are progressing and your methodology, every artist has theirs and I’m enjoying your process :slight_smile:
Jaime

2 Likes

Thank you so much @Jaime I appreciated :relaxed:
Step by step i will approach the composition.
I’m trying to represent the muscles differently the ape man seems to have the most relaxed muscles while in the air, and the hero on the other hand with the muscles contracted by the force used to pull the bow and the stress of the situation I imagine, I will refine it more and more over time.
The idea now is to have the main mass of all elements of the scene.
End of the sixth day.

3 Likes

Taking shape nicely :slight_smile:
Jaime

1 Like

GTFO! This is looking Amazing! I can’t wait to see it finished.

1 Like

Thank you @Jaime :blush:

:grin: thanks @noliac1 only 20 days for the final piece, stay tuned :blush:

I didn’t have much time to work on the piece today.
But I tried to make the most of the time I had.
The secret is constancy and not speed, at least on a personal project. :joy::joy::joy:
I worked at the hands of the ape man, it’s just the first stage but I wanted to get the feeling right that he was holding his tool tight.
It is not a great progress but the fact that the hand is in position already greatly changes the silhouette and gesturin of the piece.
End of the seventh day.

3 Likes

Starting last character’s block in, a lot of work ahead :slightly_smiling_face:

End of the eighth day,

3 Likes

This is a very extreme and challenging pose, I am doing my best to convey the right feeling.
End of the ninth day.

1 Like

Trying to reach some agony on his hand gesturing.
Ten days are gone, and seventeen more to go…

2 Likes

Ahh it’s going so nicely. It’s amazing to see how you progres and how you’re building gesture and anatomy in so dynamic poses.

1 Like