ZBrushCentral

SF ZOO Animal Learning Plaza

incredible art!!

thanks for sharing your technique to sculpt the scales - the results are fantastic!

Hi Takai,
Having a background in traditional sculpture and fabrication was extremely helpful for creating these.
The traditional background comes into play not only in the digital sculpting but also in
designing the animals in a way that can be molded, cast, and built strong enough to survive the public touching and climbing them.
The most important thing Digital or Clay is “Practice Hours” and learning to “See”.
An excellent 3D modeler does not need clay experience to create beautiful sculptures. However it does help.

• Takai
  • Quick question if you have the moment: How important do you think a background in traditional sculpture is to creating works such as these?

one of the best threads . results are awesome . thanks for sharing .

Stunning work. I have the same background, hand sculpting, foam carving, molding, casting, and now Zbrush and printing. As far as having traditional skills? It certainly can’t hurt. I do have one question in this regard. Have you found that going digital has increased your skill as a traditional sculptor? It has enhanced mine greatly. Again, fabulous results. Congrats on the top row. It is well deserved.

Carver,
Yes! Digital sculpting has increased my skill as a traditional sculptor. And Vice Versa.
It all comes back to practice hours.
In addition for me life drawing has always been a great exercise to improve my skills.

Rey

These are really all fine pieces and theaccompanying photos make for a lot of inspiration. I love all the texture details. How one goes from making a model in ZBrush (small?) to huge real life size outdoor models
would make a wonderful documentary. Thank you for sharing.

Wow! Incredible job! Must have been a lot of fun to see all those zbrush sculpt being immortalized in bronze or concrete!

BEYOND INSPIRING! Must, must, must go there.

And you forgot to mention that each sculpture was beautifully painted, as well.

But I’m not getting anywhere near that crocodile. I don’t care what anyone says, that thing is REAL.

:slight_smile:

Also, I checked out the Scientific Art Studio website… WOW you guys have done some amazing work.

Did you personally work on the Atlantis Dubai project? Those “artifacts” from Atlantis are very fun.

-E

:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Wooow!!! Outstanding work!!! Superb stuff !!! Fantastic details!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Congrats!!!

I’m awe-struck, I’d love to see more process shots!

Congrats for top row Tan. You really mastered my lessons/techniques. This project looks so fun!:smiley:

Great Stuff all around,now i should check the Sf Zoo again:D

Some incredible work in this thread. Love it. :+1:

Fantastic job! Thanks for sharing :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Paul,
Agreed, Tan Did a great job on his digital sculpts!
I am glad he took your class!!!

Eric,
Yes I worked on the Dubai project. That was a very unique and fun project.

Mohammad,
There are a few more pieces in the process that are not yet installed at the zoo including the Sea Turtle and Ceolecanth.
Those are both over 6ft in size and will look very cool!

darn! these are fantastic.

-r

It is so nice to see our tool used for this picture purposes. You have completed your work nicely!!! :angry:

So beautiful work man !!! Thanks for sharing.

that’s an enormous scale of stuff u created guys and looks so great! I’m blown away, that looks fantastic!