ZBrushCentral

Scared Silly Entry by Jason Horncastle

Here is my final piece.
It has ended up a little more political or social than originally intended, so I apologize for not doing something light hearted or “silly”. On the other hand, although the humour is rather dark, I think it is a valid alternative interpretation of “Scared Silly”.

As detailed in my thread:

1. Silo was used for all base meshes except the apple where I used ZSpheres.
  2. Photoshop was used for final compositing, adding the eyebrows, making the labels for the apple and the hat and the design for the frame.
  3. Everything else, including six final renders with different lighting, was done in ZBrush.

Working file in ZBrush was 2000 x 2500 pixels
Final file is 1000 x 1250 (rendered at AAHalf).
Smaller file uploaded here.

Well, enough said. Here is “Tricked or Treated?”

finalOKlow.jpg

Congrats! It really feels like that hand and apple come out of the piece. Well done! :+1:

Thanks Marsyas and good luck to everyone, I’m going to bed. By the time I get up it will be all over.
Jason

Hey Jason! The forums got locked down before I had a chance to congratulate you on this image. I thought it was a very clever idea and had it set as my desktop wall paper for quite a while after the competition went to voting.

I love how she simply pops out of the image at you. When this first came on my screen I had to lean back a bit! :wink:

I’d be very interested in seeing the process of making the frame for your image. Was it post rendering or did you add it during your render process?

Either way, this was a great job! Well done! (sorry I was late saying that :o )

Hi Mark and thanks very much. As far as I know that is the first time an image of mine has been someone’s desktop wall paper so that’s quite a compliment.

The frame was part of the final render. I was working in ZB2 so I’m not sure everything I say here would be exactly the same in ZB3 but I think it would more or less. The base mesh was made in Silo. I then imported it to ZB and upped the poly count to around 100,000. I made the design for the frame in Photoshop as a simple B&W image. I originally intended to use this as an alpha to create a bas relief on the frame, but decided I preferred the simple B&W painted look. I put the image on a separate layer from the frame, activated Projection Master for RGB only and used the Clone Brush to transfer the design to the frame (the layer option has to be activated in the Clone Brush in order to clone from one layer to another). The frame was then saved together with it’s texture for later use.

In my final ZB file the frame was drawn on it’s own layer (I had 7 in all for different items). I moved it backwards and forwards several times until I had it in front of the body but behind the hat, hand, apple and extended sleeve. I think I actually had it probably too far back since I had problems getting shadows from these to fall on the frame even with long shadow values in the lighting settings. I therefore cheated a bit and made the colour of the frame a little darker where I wanted shadows before doing some of the later renders (I did 6 in all for different light settings). Time was getting short for the deadline!!

This method did leave the bottom part of the body visible below the frame. I suppose I could have cancelled this out in ZB, but I chose to do it in Photoshop after final compositing of the various renders.

Hope this explains things,

All the best,
Jason [attach=76655]framebase.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

framebase.jpg

It doe’s indeed! It’s a good method, makes her really pop out the image at you. Thanks for explaining that, ZB document Layers are a very handy feature. I used them for my entry in several places too.

Cheers.