ZBrushCentral

Paul Liaw works

The environmental work is older I did before the glory that is dynamesh. The zbrush work in NY evolved one step at a time from detailing some products, splashes, to environments to finally the pipeline being able to handle characters. I might post some of the bread and butter work that is done to show people that most work that you are asked to do is actually not hero work. and you do work your way up the ladder for the most part. This project was the first arnold job I was on so it was the first time we were able to do lots of accurate displacement and render a whole forest accurately. The models were pretty much per shot.

The workflow for rocks is quite different than regular sculpting. You really can’t do flesh sculpting brushes for rock. you can’t do anything puffy, no mirroring, The challenge to create really sharp edges is actually quite difficult. I ended up creating a library of custom alphas using MRGB. I would sculpt on a flat plane in one direction only to make sure I have a pure black background. I also crop it square in photoshop, and orient it updown the way zbrush likes its brushes. I made a rock version of the square alpha, the semicircle slash alpha and a rock sliver that looks like the slash1 alpha.

With this project I came in the middle so I split the work with sculptor/animimatronics expert Tom Blake
screencaptureFootinner.jpg
situpScreenCapture.jpg
ThinkerScreenShot2.jpg

the bull I made here is not so groundbreaking in anyway except I was able to do it from scratch-rig hand off so fast it was crazy. And the rigger actually requested huge changes to the topology flow of the back leg, but I was able to turn it around in a couple of hrs because of zremesh. So my workflow for this bull was different than other stuff in the past. In the recent past I’d sculpt from a dynamesh sphere, and refine and then retop. So with this bull I felt I was being slowed down by the locking forms/overlapps of the muscles that were difficult to reach. I started to cut up the muscle regions into easy access groups, and use the move tool , before dynameshing the whole thing together on a clone. I actually am uploading two versions one bulkier version, and one more streamline version that I was reworking to make the forms easier to read.

bull.jpg
bull4.jpg
roughout.jpg
bullwire.jpg
bullback.jpg
threequartbull.jpg

Attachments

bull.jpg

bull4.jpg

Nice job on the bull :+1: How about a wireframe?

Simply awesome! Glad to see that Softimage is still being used too. The chimp is very realistic, nice job on the hair. Did you guys use Arnold for rendering?

This is top drawer and beautiful. How large was the final product? Was it all video or some print? I’ll keep watching for more.
Thanks for sharing this!,

Red Ursid

so I made friends with some more people in the 3d print field after I made the engagement ring so I connected with people at shapeways and now I’m developing bracelets. These were some early models. now they look the same-ish but have been reworked after different protopype iterations. I’m waiting for some of the pieces to come back in metal.
fish.jpg
ginkobracelet.jpg
wheat.jpg

gatorBracelet2.jpg

Attachments

ginkobracelet.jpg

gatorBracelet2.jpg

Outstanding work!

wow any making of Johnnie Walker, for Brazil ??

Fantastic work!

love the detail on the chimp and the chameleon

Hey, Paul! Great work. Very marketable. Classy.

Absolutely beautiful work. I enjoyed each of your sculpts. The photo realism is phenomenal. Thank you for sharing your designs. :+1:

Beautiful, you seem to get a lot of your inspirations from nature

Great work! Now that JW has been out for almost half a year, could you post pics of the Mossassurus and other dinosaurs you worked on?

@reptilian unfortunately only Disney can show them its not up to me.

Hi. I have been following jour zbrush jobs for some time, but I have not seen any updates on the Jewelry side… I would really love to know if you are still engaged on Jewelry industry, I have not seen more courses of you anymore like the one you had on Mold3d… Keep posting your master works!!! :wink:

Superb work indeed. A joy to behold!