ZBrushCentral

making jewelry from your models

my first skull ring in Zbrush, not much details but for the first model I’m satisfied:roll_eyes:small_orange_diamond:)

Attachments

skull ring.JPG

skull ring.JPG

for your first model its not shabby at all:D

Hi Alfredo,

I am interested how to get out ZB-models in real world.

Did I understand rigth, you export for example .stl-data and mill it with a cnc-mill in wax for casting?

Do you think, this is a better way than 3D-printing?

As you offered, I would be interested to get a sample file, is your offer still available?

Hope, I´m not too late, because the thread seems a bit old?

Grettings from Germany,

Stephan

Wax prototyping… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx207UXtGxg&feature=related

Anyone have any experience with this machine?

Ziggy

I saw that machine at the show, and a month later wanted to buy it, but the company support sucks big time, I wasn’t able to get neither clear answers or samples from them till now… seems fishy to me :cry:

Hi Alfedo,

Just spotted a company in South Africa that sells these machines, will see what I can find out and pass the info on to you… also want one…

Thanks

Hi Alfedo

Here is a image I have just done for a book cover of one of South Africa old military units… I was wondering if I set this up as a dog tag type jewelry what would the estimated costs be in say silver and gold?

[web_image.jpg]

If its profitable, i am in contact with their veterans association and other military units associations, could be lucrative…

Regards Ziggy

It depends on the volume. The volume will yield the ounces you need. Silver will be a factor less expensive than gold. Rhino and other programs can give you the volume from the dimensions and the model configuration. Sterling silver goes for $22 today per troy ounce and 14Karat Gold for $42 per pennyweight. A pennyweight is 1/20 of a troy ounce. So a troy once of silver goes for $22 (casting grain) and the gold for $840 per troy ounce.

The volume of that depends on the specific weight of gold and silver.
The weight of 1 troy ounce yields a different volume for gold as it does for silver.

It’s late and I’m tired, so I leave it to you to fight yourself through the internets and fiddle the ounces and metrics and imperials and what not together.

Making that mold is simple and might cost you $60 for a master mold. You will be able to make a few hundred till that mold is shot.

Having the items made is pretty much the cost of the material and a bit of labor. It depends if simply tumbling is good enough to finish the items or is someone has to work on them. If the later is the case, the hourly charge of the service provider comes into play. A Chinese job shop might charge as little as $4 where a New Jersey Shop must charge about $65 to $95 because of the cost to do business here. Most likely they ship it out as well… Mail to Hong Kong from New York takes 5 days. Back and fourth… Faster than to LA and back.

Happy making!
Lemo

Hi Guys,

I would love it you would share some jewelery .objs
I work with a jewelery designer sometimes and ZB is the best for a sculpted piece.

Cheers

Si

http://simongrell.co.uk/

Hey Ziggy, that’s a very well made model, I could cut it from wax for you for $150 and the rest Lemmonado already explained :rolleyes:
Cheers

Hi,
I just found this thread. I am in the research/learning curve to determine the real world usability of 3D Cad for jewelry design. i’ve been a jewelry designer/modelmaker for 35 years and now consult with manufacturers. Your work is very interesting and you seem more able to answer questions that apply to producing usable models. I looked at Wittelsbach’s designs- very involved, but the level of cad skills/program knowledge seems overwhelming. Right now i am trying to learn enough to determine what programs would be wise to focus on. I really like the “high touch” interface of ZBrush, but have learned that zbrush does not directly interface with the 3D printers, so another program must be learned (rhino, ?) to translate to smaller, more usable file format and size. I feel like I am feeling my way in the dark, with flashes of light. Any direction, suggestions you can give would be appreciated.

I come across a website that simplified from model upload to printing and even selling at: http://www.shapeways.com/gallery?mg[search][categories]=23&mg[search][text]=

:+1: Thanks for your link,
Actually, it was a look at shapeways a few years ago that got me exploring the 3-D capabilities. i will look again now that I have learned more.