ZBrushCentral

Making Hair with the Ring Primitive

Great technique cwahl. Thanks for sharing.

cwahl, those heads and hairstyles look great!
here’s a variation i’m sure you’ve thought of - a one piece wig -hat thingy that can be styled to suit.

stevie rae did something similar using alphas to mask a sphere. so this is thanks to you 2 guys!
EDIT: i think i got the axis wrong in the diagramme-
i think its the Y axis to apply gravity to not Z as i’ve illustrated.

Ron- Thanks for the contribution with the sphere idea. I’ll have to explore that further. :+1:

Outstanding and very useful idea, congratulations!

Great tips guys. Can’t wait to try this.

Here’s a one piece wig, using a similar approach to Ron’s wighat, but again using the Ring Primitive.

Cool techniques here. Thanks to all involved. The only problem for me is the increased aliasing caused by sharper objects such as these hair pieces. Still very useful tricks here, thanks again.

Thank you for the suggestion and time spent.
What kind of conditioner did you use?

hey who would have thought being a hairdresser could be this much fun!
that long wig looks great cwahl!
i was messing round with the degree of inflate and you can get some nice long strandy bits to play with
and style. this ones a bit too harsh and sharp looking- itneeds to be softened.

oh and a massive thanks to boozy for that ref to multi marker editing and the joy that is the reposition button- what a revelation!! makes adjusting all these elements a dream.

what fun!!

Thanks for sharing your technique, looks like a good way of fleshing out the hair volume. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing these tips! :+1:

I want to make some transparent 3D columns of falling water for use in Adobe Atmosphere (Atmosphere is my main reason for learning ZB).

Looks like these hair techniques could be just the thing for water columns too.

Thanks folks! :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a AWSOME modelling trick. Thank you so much! I’ll be playing with alot.

p.

perfect. Thanks for going further of this technique from this thread: http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001577

Would someone be so kind as to give more detailed steps for this? Like how do you set a row to 1 or 2, how do you inflate, how do you mask, etc? I don’t use ZBrush enough to fill in the steps.

Maybe a ZScript?

Riggsd- I’m not Zscript savvy enough to do a Zscript tutorial.

But I’ll try answering the questions you’ve asked-

Firstly you have to have an object selected and in edit mode before these options become active.

Inflate- Goto Tool menu/ Deformation submenu.

Mask all/Row and Select count- Goto Tool menu/Selection submenu.

When using Selections, Mask all first, then choose select count, then Row (and after inflating press ‘clear mask’.)

Note- A low polygon object will produce less rows at setting 1, than a high polygon object with the same setting. Keep that in mind and adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps…

GREAT READ.
Thx for sharing :+1:

okay… i understand all steps, but selection option is nowhere to be found in the tool menu…

This tutorial is 5 year old, it was for zbrush 2.0…

Facepalm.jpg

Its old but perhaps its still possible…

@Vindicate: Maybe the word “selection” confused you a bit. :slight_smile:

The author of this tutorial said:

1. With the ring active, go to the selection menu, mask all and select Row at setting 1.

In other words: Select the ring 3D tool, open the Mask-Palette,
click on the “Mask all” button, set the “Sel” slider and the “Grd” slider to 1,
click on the “Row” button (continue with the other steps…)

Hope that`s right.