1. Do you have a set idea or sketch planned before you start ZBrushing? Do you import sketches into ZB for reference when building?
I am always planning my next image (not just ZB). My brain ticks over with ideas 24/7. When I sit at the screen I will have at least three or four ideas that need to be realised. I usually just go for it on a blank canvas and build/draw/model/sculpt. I have imported sketches but with my tablet and 21" monitor it is easy to go straight to screen. In ZBrush I often put a 3d plane in a back layer and sketch on to it for guidelines
2. How much painting on the head do you do before you snapshot it? How much painting on the head do you do after snapshotting?
About this much... It`s different with each image and really depends on what sort of materials I intend to use. If it is just a basic material (or two) like the Jester, I do a lot of touch up work just after snapshot. And I always put my eyes and teeth on another layer. That was the best thing Pixolator ever taught me. That and the wet lip look.
3. At what stage do you set up lights?
Very last. I usually do two or three tests with different set ups. My favorite is 2 suns, 1 spot and a glow. I always lower the global ambient. I usually use at least one light from the bottom to give a slightly eiry look. In the Jester image i used an orange sun low down to the right.
4. Materials: how many presaved materials do you use in each painting. How often do you create your own materials?
Loads. I have tonnes. Split into metals, organics, liquids, tiles glass etc. When 1.2 is released everyone will be able to get ALL of my material collection from my Material factory. The average is about 5 or 6 materials for a head. I will make a skin material then save it. I load it back (into
a new material slot) and make it more specular and use it for lips and wet areas. I always use a `toy plastic` type material for eyes and I usualy add a bit of reflection to the eye.
5. What's the longest time you have spend making one picture?
2 days solid. Remember it???.
6. If you would like to see any outside influence incorporated in ZBrush what would that be? (Painter - Photoshop?).
I want filters. I want lens flares. I want text. I want more time in the day
7. If you used ZBrush for commercial purposes, what would they be mainly for?
I have done webpages with all ZB graphics. I think I would do book covers If I did it for a living.
8. Advice for newbies?
Practice and ask. I only started last November and I`m still learning. Kurisu and Pixolater have helped me at every stage. I use ZBrush more than any other application and I love it.
That's all the questions I can think of at the moment. Anyone else have any ZBrush-method related questions?