ZBrushCentral

Mei, HMC 15 expressions

Hi everyone,

First time posting 3d work here. This is a recent work I did for the hardcore modeling challenge at cgtalk. Basically we had to pick a character and model 15 different expressions for it. So I thought it would be fun to do a 3d “translation” of Mei from Studio Ghibli’s My Neighbor Totoro. I decided to post it here since pretty much everything other than the rendering was done in zbrush.

I hope you like it. And hopefully these images aren’t too big. wip images are at cgtalk, I’ll post them here soon.

BEAUTY RENDER:

LARGER/INDIVIDUAL IMAGES:

Neutral
Happy
Hatred
Rage
Enjoyment
Sad
Confused
Scared
Pleased
Tired
Angry
Worried
Shocked/Surprised
Drunk
In Love
Silly

ORTHO and WIRES:

![29034-bigthumbnail.jpg|450x360](upload://bXho0tObEXX23Gc6vIEpjncOsmi.jpeg)![RefSheet001.jpg|800x685](upload://1dHFkquIVR3sFQnOZfBivEvEc80.jpeg)![Mei_Neutral.jpg|800x598](upload://wrsg2txOuXzUdE59dmOzX4IIIPS.jpeg)![mei15expressions.jpg|1100x1600](upload://4Vwdxc0ekaEs51mIoA2FnR7E8yz.jpeg)![beautyrender.jpg|973x608](upload://gpFTmCAMXRIuv5Twxx8GIOh5G7J.jpeg)![meiorthoshaded2.jpg|1100x1087](upload://8Rnuz1HJpevQnDJxMgqThKalx3C.jpeg)![wireframe3.jpg|1100x1087](upload://1fiv89WDJmkFtNrefNJ4jMo6NaU.jpeg)![ZBC_THUMB1.jpg|100x76](upload://8CnIkp6sspyzCmHkfgDNT3Jl8vv.jpeg)

Attachments

mei15expressions.jpg

meiorthoshaded2.jpg

wireframe3.jpg

1 Like

Very Funny!!! :smiley: Great all expressions. Love it :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

im a huge fan of cartoons, and all i can say is, this is soo cool! really funny expression, awesome job!

absolutely awesome work mate, the subtle details and wrinkles really bring it to life. Top row work for sure.

Awesome.

Excellent expressions…and 2 words… TOP ROW! :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

looks amazing

You got the facial expressions dowe to a tee love them all especally the sad one all that is missing is a tear :cry: got to be TOP ROW

Thanks everyone! Glad you liked them!

BARON_3D/logan_45/manzarek123: Thank you guys!

benny350: thanks. Yes, that’s the effect I was going for. Always happy to hear it worked :slight_smile:

SolidSnakexxx: Thanks! Love your mantis :+1:

wolfie:lol a tear would’ve been a nice touch. Glad you liked Sad, it’s one of my favorites as well.

Alright, I thought I should post these as well. A couple of WIP images from the original thread. Sculpted from basic shapes and retopologized subsequently.

![MeiProgress001.jpg|800x579](upload://3TKvwL0Mv95qZhGDZggiGeP8yC4.jpeg)![MeiProgress002.jpg|600x750](upload://r47HvX2Wrn3iLKTh5qOxQ6yRvCt.jpeg)![MeiProgress003.jpg|800x950](upload://qDWFHJ9idVY0alxv309Bi0gVjKf.jpeg)

One of my favourite anime and you picked a perfect character to potray the 15 expressions with. Great work and the more cartoon stuff and less monsters here the better :smiley:

This is really cute! :smiley: Top Row :+1:

These are awesome… So expressive…

sweet work man, love the expressions. :slight_smile:

This is FAAANTASTIC! I love it! She´s soooo cute!
Excellent work!
:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Very nice work, the facial expressions are very awesome, very cute, and… Totoro forever! :+1:
Welcome here, and post more works like that! :smiley:

Yup, oozing awesomeness! Top row indeed!

Looking at your expressions sheet, I have the sad face when I’m at work, the enjoyment face at lunchtime and the happy face at home time! :smiley:

Great work!! i love the expressions n shaders!! :smiley:

Awesome manga style, very well done. Keep on posting !!

my absolute favorite i love it

haha, those expressions are great! The silly expression is easily my favorite.

Great job! I like doing this kind of character, myself, so I can appreciate the work you put into it. :+1: :+1: :+1: