ZBrushCentral

Artist in Action: Scott Eaton (human anatomy training, part 1)

[attach=86110]banner.jpg[/attach]

Few people today know the human form better than Scott Eaton. A serious artist, his studies have taken him to the MIT Media Lab and even the prestigious Florence Academy of Art. I had the pleasure of seeing his presentation at the Pixologic booth during last year’s SIGGRAPH, where I was impressed by the meticulous approach he takes to the human figure. Actually, “amazed” would be a better term. His techniques truly fuse the best of today’s technology with the lessons of the old masters.

His knowledge is in high demand. Scott’s consulting clients inlcude such well-known names as Pixar, Sony, Miscrosoft Game Studios, The Mill, Double Negative…. Today we are extremely pleased to be able to bring you our newest installment of the “Artists in Action” series, featuring Scott.

Be prepared for some seriously challenging instruction! This lesson is project-based, with Scott leading you on a course of study inspired by “Milon de Crotone”, a masterpiece by 18th century artist Edme Dumont. Yet this is just the first part, “Studying from Reference”! Future installments in the series will continue with “Studying from Life” and “Working from the Imagination”. In short, you’re getting a crash course in what Scott has spent a lifetime mastering.

So head on over to Scott’s ZClassroom Section and start learning.
You’ll never look at the human form the same way again!
Click Here

[](http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/artistinaction/scotteaton)

Attachments

banner.jpg

Great tutorial and information. Cant wait for the next installment.

Wow , Scott has been one of the most inspiring artists .
And now this … this is truly cool stuff , thanks guys .

:grimacing: :grimacing: Absolutely awesome stuff and great tips. Really admiring your sculpts a lot!!
Will be looking for the next one. :+1:

-Fabian

these tutorials are a nice addition to the zclassroomthing , inspiring, well thought out, it should be so interesting to see the future zbrush masters… like, that 10 year old right now that sees this tutorial for the first time and by age 25 already has 15 years of zbrushing under his/her belt. i really hope in 5 years zbrushers are not only known amongst the digital peoples , i hope everyone in the world recognizes the really talented zbrushers so they get the real credit they deserve… normal people dont realize how much time and effort goes into learning and using zbrush or other high end 3d modeling packages (mudbox)!!!

Hi Scott,
how’s things?

I always had the feeling that the lateral condyle of the femur does show sometimes! Hey hold on, what’s a condyle?
Man I willl be happy when I will know one tenth of the anatomy you can master so easily, thanks for sharing and setting the standards so high, inspirational stuff.

Andrea

Fantastic document! I wish this were available as a PDF for offline reading.

Amazing work Scott! By the way when were you at FAA? I was there summer of 05, what a great experience.

Scott

I like it too, a lot of helpful informations, thanks :slight_smile:

This is great info and a great sculpt as well. Thanks for all you have done! Props!

NickZ. :slight_smile:

SUPER!:+1:

Fantastic! :+1:

amazing…:smiley:

just amazing!!
Alex Oliver

Bravo! more please! :smiley:

Thanx ZBRCENTRAL for help that was amazing

What an encouraging and elegantly put together course. Simply great resource for all professional and learner!!!

just browsed through it and it looks great.
can’t wait to get the “full read”.

-r

Excelent! Thank you so much!

It’s just wonderful what Pixologic and great people like Scott keep doing for the community. :+1: :+1: :+1:

This is a really nice workflow.
As much as i love zclassroom its more like a tutorial center and not an actual classroom, what i mean is there are no Moderator set up threads that we as students can post work on specific to these tutorials. In this instance it would have been nice to provide us with the reference pics and allow/challenge us to emulate it as you have, which in turn would allow the zcommunity to do CC which would make us all better sculptors cause we would all have the same reference/experience on this model.

A few observations related to your site, strangely when you hover over “base mesh” i do not get the hand that usually pops up for links, at first i figured it was just missing the picture. this is also the same with the muscle sculpting movies.
Also i totally agree with your methodology concerning poly shape and distribution, however it seems you have a high polygon count in the fingers at the lowest level. of course you would know best what works for you but i wonder what percentage of the total poly count they take up.

Lastly i want to say thanks again, and i really hope the zmoderators will start to make more classroom like threads as i’ve mentioned.