ZBrushCentral

Pixologic Announcement: ZBrush 3.1 Update Information

Hello! ZBrush 3.1 continues our pursuit of artist focused and artist driven tools. Here I would like to share with you some of the notable features we added:

• New Brush Palette that allows users to load and save their own brush presets
  • New Brush features such as Color Masking and BackFace Masking.
  • User Assigned Hotkeys
  • ZMapper
  • Displacement Exporter
  • Poseable Symmetry using Smart Resym’s Topological Symmetry feature
  • A New Mesh Relaxation Tool: Reproject Higher Subdiv
  • Support for square alphas while sculpting
  • Support for sculpting with both ZAdd and ZSub
  • Mesh Projection now projects PolyPainting
New Brush Palette that allows users to load and save their own brush presets
All brushes are now represented by icons. Each brush can be saved as you modify its settings. Save the Brushes in the ZStartup/BrushPresets to have them load automatically at startup.

New Brush features such as Color Masking and BackFace Masking
Color Masking uses the polypainting on your model as a mask. A powerful feature for more subtle texture painting of your models.

BackFace Masking is very useful when dealing with thin edged models. All polygons with their normals facing away from your brush will be masked off and not effects by your sculpting strokes.

User Assigned Hotkeys
Assign your own hotkeys using a few simple keystrokes. To start, press CTRL and click on an interface item. Then press the key you want that interface item assigned to. Its that simple!

To save your hotkeys press Store in the Preference: Hotkeys sub-palette.

You can also assign hotkeys to custom palettes or palettes already in ZBrush. By default F1-F6 are assigned to ZBrush’s most important palettes.

Learn more here.

ZMapper
Generate normal maps for any game engine or 3D program using ZMapper.

Learn more here.

Displacement Exporter
Export 32, 16 and 8 bit displacement maps as well as convert grey scale maps to normal maps using Displacement Exporter.

Learn more here.

Poseable Symmetry using Smart Resym’s Topological Symmetry feature
Poseable Symmetry allows the user to work in symmetry when the model itself is posed or otherwise not symmetrical. Using topological symmetry, your sculpting on the left side will be reflected on the right side of the model.

To use, simply set the symmetry axis in the Transform palette and then press Transform: Use Poseable Symmetry. Make sure to do this at the highest subdivision level. If you divide your model again simply press Use Poseable Symmetry to re-establish your symmetry in pose.

Learn more here.

A New Mesh Relaxation Tool: Reproject Higher Subdiv
Use Reproject Higher Subdiv to relax your mesh’s topology and reduce polygon stretching. Simply lower your Subdiv level and press Tool: Geometry: Reproject Higher Subdiv.

You can also try smoothing your mesh alittle bit to help reduce the polgyon stretching even more.

Support for square alphas while sculpting
Sculpt with square alphas by setting Focal Shift to -100!

Support for sculpting with both ZAdd and ZSub
Sculpt both in and out in one brush stroke. Simply set {{Ctl|Alpha: MidValue}} to 50.

Mesh Projection now projects PolyPainting
Using Mesh Projection you can now transfer PolyPainting information from one mesh to another. Simply make sure that RGB is on in the shelf or Draw Palette.

Happy ZBrushing!

Ryan

thanks for the info, ryan! :slight_smile:

WailingMonkey

Thanks Ryan. I just downloaded the update :slight_smile:

Thanks Ryan:+1:
Andreseloy

Thats what I am talking about - thx! I was mad as hell that this info didnt show up with patch but well… Thank you - better late then never right? No hard feelings :wink:

At last :slight_smile: Thanks!

awesum, i got sum reading to do now :stuck_out_tongue:

Is it my imagination, or is the interface even MORE slick with the new update? It might be something I missed in version 3.0, but it seems that the 3.1 windows have a bit more polish to them. I love the look, with the radius corners! Just noticed it now. Keep up the great work!

Wow! The new Relaxation Tool is amazing! I was having a tough time sculpting an over deformed area due to the polygon flow. I clicked the button and BAM! the topology was much more uniform and workable.

Great job! :smiley:

with this breathtakin’ upgrade is ZB3.1 most innovative and most revolutionary SW ever…even artist’s dream. Thank you, pixol-guyz :slight_smile:

-cheerZZZ-

I stand awe struck by the new ZB 3.1 UI…
with its flyouts of the expanded thumbnails of the models. alphas, etc…
its menus and sub menus and their boxed borders, dropped shadows and the gradient designed buttons… …

Being able to perview the materials interactively on an expanded thumbnail before you commit the material to the model…so Cool

The best render with its default settings generating perfect shadows…WOW

Having the brushes now as icons… and the doing away of the rapid and classic mode… no more crashes…yeh…

Not to mention all the added functionality , which I look forward to exploring…

All this within a short few months after the release of version 3

The pixologic team is definitely drawing their creativity from a very deep and profound source of inspiration,

I can only feel gratitude to pixologic for giving us a tool of our dreams!

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

I know we got the upgrade. Thanks for that. But any news about zapplink? And also the smooth brush seems odd. I’ve tried adjusting the curve. But I still get a flattening effect.

thanks for your time

Brett

The update is unbelievable awesome :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :+1: :+1: