ZBrushCentral

Basic ZProjection Sculpting Tutorial

[attach=58362]ZProject-grab.jpg[/attach]

This is a zscript tutorial of the basic method of using the ZProject brush to transfer sculpting from one mesh to another. It uses the DemoHead and PolySphere ztools which are shipped with ZBrush 3. These should be in the ZTools folder for the tutorial to work.

Instructions

Unzip the zip file to a suitable location, such as the ZBrush ZScripts folder. Then load the ZProject-Sculpt-Tut.zsc file using the Load button in the ZScript menu. (Press the Menus button at the top of the UI to get the ZScript menu to show.) A ZProjection Sculpting Tutorial button will appear at the bottom of the UI. Press this button to start the tutorial. When the tutorial has finished you will be able to continue ZProject sculpting the model.

Edit: I have now written a Clear Offset plugin to help avoid sculpting offsets with this method.

I hope you find it helpful.

Attachments

ZProject-grab.jpg

Thanks Marcus!!!

The new Z3 seems to me like a rebirth…and relearn…

Have a nice day.

cameyo

Thanks Marcus ! No less from you:+1:
Andreseloy

The tip with removing the transpose offset was very helpful - I missed that part earlier and never figured out what was going on. Thanks for all your active support Marcus!

Another nice, straight forward demo of a seminal modeling process - Well done.

For me, the key bit of info I got from Sebastien’s tutorial was to Press the Alt key when using the ZProject brush.

Sven

marcus, some people over on the chat are having problems with the zproject, ryan said that a macro could be made to avoid that whole, tranpose click thing. how hard would that be to make?

yes,i have this problem too,i have follow the Tutorial ,but still have the problem.;):cry:

Thanks for the tut. I’ll try that right away! :smiley:

Thanks for the comments, guys. :slight_smile:

Sven, I agree, using the Alt brush is important - but it can be necessary to toggle the key as you sculpt. If the target mesh is infront of the source mesh then Alt is needed; if the target is behind the source then it’s not.

I understand that some people are having difficulty with this. Ryan may have a good idea for a macro but in my view it’s problematic. ZScripting a ‘click’ on the canvas is simple enough but making sure that click is on the mesh is not - especially if the pivot point is in ‘empty space’. It would be better if Pixologic provided a solution, I think.

Thanks, Marcus: clear and easy to follow.

I’d like to add that the Project Morph function outlined at the bottom of the Morph Palette Wiki page really helps to relax poor mesh distribution caused by the Zprojection process.

Cheers,

R

Attachments

Ballache.jpg

Thanks! Just what I was looking for. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comments guys, I’m glad the tutorial is useful.

spaceboy412 & chammer, I have now managed to write a Clear Offset plugin to help avoid sculpting offsets with this method.

Hi Marcus,
Thanks for taking the time to explain the procedure - like many others I was making a couple of basic mistakes, the tutorial clears things up.

TD

i use this sculpt function a lot -
thanks marcus for your effort (and also for your imageplane pug-in!)

Man what a plugin to fix such a simple issue with zbrush. The statement should be
“Zbrush where the impossible is possible and the possible is impossible.”

first of all thank you for that tutorial but i’m having a hard time using the projection brush, i get alot of pinches and overlaps when i get one side right
the other messes up are there specific brush setting i should use it looks soo
easy in the video i wonder if i’m doing something wrong it’s driving me nuts
thankfull for any hint

greetz

Attachments

ZBrush Document.jpg

The projecting brush is too complicated. :confused: I don’t like it.

Methinks it should be improved and simplified by a special plugin.
Who feels like trying ?
:smiley:

Anatom

nice…but …can i use in zbrush 3.1?

I get an error right after it states it will append the polysphere as a subtool. A window titled “Zscript Note: Interface item could not be found” informing PopUp:PolySphereCopy1 in… [IPress,PopUp:PolySphereCopy1].

???

I got the same error with kubakuba at the same time. :confused: