ZBrushCentral

Warky and Sherman's Grand Adventure: Updated!

Here is the back story:

Warky and Sherman come from a land where there is no mouths. How they eat, no one really knows. One thing that is known about Warkanoid species is that they have 3 ears, a horn and big belly.

Warky’s hut was recently attacked by a large bird (a stumbling baby bird, but it was huge compared to Warky). The birds beak crashed into the roof of Warky’s hut. This allowed all rain and large pollen grains to seap into Warky’s house.

To repair the broken roof, Warky and his pet warkdog, Sherman are off on a grand adventure! They are off to seak supplies to repair the roof and to give Sherman a long walk to calm his frenetic energy.

I had the idea for the image from a character I had created for an animation class. Warky is sort of a protest against speech in animation.

The image was made with Blender 2.41 and 2.42 (CVS build), Z-brush, and Gimp. Artweaver was used for conceptual sketches.

[attach=40711]warkland6.jpg[/attach]

I will post the original CGtalk entry in a bit, let me know what you like better!

Attachments

warkland6.jpg

This is the original I completed back in May. Let me know which feels better. I have already submitted the first to the ballistic media for there character design book. I may update this and submit corrections if there are any that could be made. The deadline seems to be this Monday.

very nice, i think the second one is better. looks like a painting.

but on the other hand, the lighting in the first one seems more real, gives it a look of clay models. :+1: :+1: :+1:

I like this. Not too often we see something that isn’t a monster. ZBrush does a nice job as a cartoon medium too. Nice colors in these. I hope you don’t mind some opinions. The first looks a bit washed out to me, so I prefer the second for the lighting. It seems to have a lot of blurring though. I don’t know if the depth of field would be that dramatic with this type of shot. Is this a ZBrush render, and did you do the blurring yourself? If it is in another program then perhaps it is just the way it is. Not sure, but I am still enjoying this piece. Keep up the updates.

Zbrush was used for the dog (color map and normal map) and the trees. I probably would have used it for the main character, yet I didn’t have zbrush at the time I started this. Didn’t want to go overboard either with details. The majority was done with GIMP and Blender (rendered in too). I wasn’t quite sure how to do DOF that accurately, since I could get a fake to work. It seems to consistantly crash at the point it calulates the DOF fake. I could rework the original image. I still have all of the files for that. What composition do you like better, I removed a tree in the update as well.

I like it better with the tree there. Couldn’t tell you why.

So a less intense blurred original would be better you think? I probably will submit both versions just so at least one might get selected.

I like it with the tree, but with less blur I guess.

So a version with the colors of the second one, with a slight blur like the remake (its a lot less than the original)? I really like the pose on the remake too . Less scary and the backpack strap makes more sense. Although I will render out in one pass this time around, so its not a composite. I won’t have to blur layer artifacts as much either.

Here is a quarter size render. Its based on the tree on the front composistion. I did move warky’s head though and move Sherman the dog slightly so he is a bit more observant. This is a pretty much a raw render with faked DOF via composite nodes (unfortunately this doesn’t work on the full scale render). I’m going to use this as a template for blurring though. The idea of the blur is to draw the eye to Warky and Sherman. Various elements in the composistion are meant to do the same, like the sticks. The grass is only thick because its a smaller render. It will be the proper size when it renders at full scale.

DOFtestwarkland.jpg

Here are the final images I think. I think the deadline is tomorrow although it may be extended until the 30th of October. if that is the case I could submit my next character and my finished anatomy study by than!

warkscaperemakecloseup.jpg

Comments, critiques are more than welcome! You can rate it now too, if you want to.

Attachments

warkscaperemakescaled.jpg

Does the new pose read as more natural and has greater emotional impact than the first 2? Is the blur working? Its less intense now.

Yes, I like the less blur. It works a lot better for me anyway. Not sure of others opinions, but you can definitely see more detail that was blurred before. Looks pretty good to me.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v499/mayaman2/?action=view&current=warkyturnaround0001_0120.flv

I hope that link works, but that’s a turnaround of warky. If you know the pose let me know! :smiley:

Pretty cool work man! Love the puppy, er whatever it is! :wink:

A warkdog named Sherman. :slight_smile: Thanks for checking it out. :smiley:

Hey man,
You have done good job. U have different style of art. nice work.

nice work

its looking nice so far but i would definitely suggest a shadow below your main character. it kinda needs to look anchored to your background and right now he looks like hes floating a little.

Thanks for checking this out.

There has been quite a few changes to blender since I made this several years ago. I was using an earlier version that did not have SSS scattering. I faked it in this. The shadows probably aren’t as accurate as could be. Newer versions of the software have much better normal maps, I now know how to use zbrush somewhat decently since than, SSS is actually calculated and I think they did revamp the shadows somewhat. In Maya I think i could get really cool results with the bokeh and Final Gathering.

I can’t easily alter this image anymore since I’m not sure if I have all of the files.