ZBrushCentral

Ogre Head

Hiyas. This is an ogre head I’ve been working on for a friend’s D&D character, named Zolar. I still have a bunch of weird stuff to do on him (eyepatch, funny wig, etc.) but this is pretty much my idea of a generic ogre at this point.

I usually shy away from doing too much realistic detail but I think I’m finally starting to make some inroads with this model. :slight_smile: Still, I think I could take it a lot further.

The rendering was done in ZBrush, with just resizing and a slight unsharp mask in Photoshop.

Zolar_test2_AA.jpg

Attachments

Zolar_Example1b.jpg

Neat idea, using Zbrush to realize your D&D characters! This looks quite nice. Interesting to see an ogre with human skin instead of the more common green/brown and rough skin. :smiley:

Thanks, Tidalias. :slight_smile: Actually he should probably be even whiter than I made him. We play first edition D&D and all our characters come from one of the old Gazetteers (http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/gz/gaz10.htm). Zolar is of a species of ogre called Homo Monstrum Bellicosus, which have chalky white skin. :slight_smile:

Another silly Zolar test. He’s supposed to have a funny wig, furry eyepatch, and blue splotches on his snout. I figured he could have used an animal hide to shape a funny wig.

He’s only gonna keep gettin’ uglier. :wink:

Zolar_test3.jpg

Attachments

Zolar_Example2.jpg

Hehe… cool stipple masking to make the hair. The furry eyepatch definitely looks interesting, to say the least. :smiley:

Hiyas. This is probably the final Zolar. :slight_smile: Most was done the same way I did my Night Elf, except I sculpted more of the details.

I know he’s really ugly but that was his description: funny wig, furry eyepatch, blue splotches on snout, scalemail. :stuck_out_tongue:

zolar2.jpg

Attachments

zolar2close.jpg

zolar_comps.jpg

zolar_zrender.jpg

Cool character. I really like your example shot, very useful for people to see how to make accessories in zbrush.

I wish more people would do that. I would like to see how to make more semi complex character accessories.

Very nice character, and wondefully executed…

Nice use of zbrush tools…

Thanks for the illustrated explanation…

5 stars for all this:+1:

Marsyas, aw3som3 ogre!
Can u tell me, when you were doing the fur-masking, the stippling i mean witht he alpha, how were u able to do so?

I am aware of holding down control to place an alpha mask, but i can not move it over the object as you have done.

Cool design, The fur looks great,
Nice use of zSpheres, thanks for posting!

Thanks folks. :slight_smile:

PHatalitY: I find that learning to use Insert Local Mesh and Insert Connector Mesh are great for making complex ZSphere Accessories. The chain above is an example which I didn’t end up using for this model. Also the buttons for the hood.

Sebcesoir: Very generous! Thanks! :slight_smile: People like you raise the bar around here.

mattybyng: If you have the Move mode selected while you’re editing an object you can start dragging the alpha from anywhere on the screen so long as you’re holding ‘ctrl’. If you have Draw mode selected, you can only start dragging out an alpha while your cursor is off the model. Hope that’s clear. :slight_smile:

sadicus: Thanks!

For Don’t confuse button Move in mode Edit with General Move Button
Just Press “W” in Edit Mode and you can place where you want your Alpha with Ctrl Pressed :slight_smile:
Pilou
Ps This Ogre is terrific and prognastic as well
:cool:

Thanks for the clarification, Frenchy Pilou! :slight_smile:

Wow fantastic job Thanks for showing how you did it…
Art:+1: :smiley:

hey hey hey !!! he looks happy too, nice job