ZBrushCentral

Popeye the Sailor Man

[Popeye-turn-8-frames.gif]

I’m Popeye the Sailor Man,
I’m Popeye the Sailor Man.
I’m strong to the finich
Cause I eats me spinach.
I’m Popeye the Sailor Man.

I’m one tough Gazookus Which hates all Palookas Wot ain’t on the up and square. I biffs ‘em and buffs ‘em And always out roughs ‘em But none of ‘em gets nowhere. If anyone dares to risk my “Fisk”, It’s “Boff” an’ it’s “Wham” un’erstan’? So keep “Good Be-hav-or” That’s your one life saver With Popeye the Sailor Man. I’m Popeye the Sailor Man, I’m Popeye the Sailor Man. I’m strong to the finich Cause I eats me spinach. I’m Popeye the Sailor Man.

Bluto and Olive Oyl to come of course. I want to pose a fight, badly.

Nice work!!!

Hi maxinkuk, this is a wonderful piece of work.
well done, pls make more :smiley:
Cheers

theres some sort of weird “growth” or tumour just under his ear… is that meant to be there?

hehe - very cool

Thanks guys, it’s such a great character I tried to be as faithful to the modelsheet as I could and this gave me the chance to appreciate the greatness of the design.
There are nevertheless choices to be made to translate him into 3d, especially in the face, and the “growth” under his ear was indeed meant to be there, I think it’s the corner of the jaw (see modelsheet). I think that this material makes it stick out a bit to much from some angle and I may have over-sharpened it with the clay brush, thanks for the feedback, I need to check that.

Another good one Max. It would be good to see him in action against Bluto. My only crit would be that the chin could possibly be rounder.

Thanks Captain, I’m indeed organising a fight. I took your critique on board, and also the other one about the jaw/bulge and adjusted his jaw and chin a bit further, but I like his older style best, the later Popeye with the round jaw lost the edge in my opinion.
I also worked a bit more on the proportion between body and legs and and emphasized the long torso a bit more. Then I made a quick posing and gave him a better stand. Here it is as of tonight. I can see now an issue on the back of his right arm, a consequence of pose master, never mind, I fix that tomorrow.

ZBC_THUMB.jpg
[attach=140508]Blow-Me-Down.gif[/attach]

Attachments

Blow-Me-Down.gif

HaHa! Great sculpt - Big Fun! Love it! :+1: !

:slight_smile: Great work, maxinkuk! This brings back memories. :slight_smile:
Thanks for posting!
Can´t wait to see the others!

nice keep it up

Etcher, Moni Poroni, Ryu Moto, thanks for your kind comments.

Here’s another update, Popeye is basically textured and posed, small adjustments to come for sure but now I should really make a start on Bluto and Olive Oyl.

[Popeye-posed-turn.gif]

That’s an awesome version of Popeye. Great stuff, man!

They are not going to make a new version of him, or a revamped live action movie would they?

The colors came out beautifull! :+1: !

Thanks Kraken, much appreciated, glad to hear you enjoy this.

Zenneth, not that I know, it’s a tough one I guess, Altman’s effort was spot on, Popeye’s world is so completely crazy that only by making something absurd you can do it right.

Thanks Etcher, I’m working on my texturing, not perfect yet but improving.

Here’s a render with some edit work in Photoshop.

[Popeye-render-comp-1.jpg]

haha ))) i like it )) as seen in cartoon )))) …eyes )))))

not bad, dude ) keep practicing :wink:

Really nice modeling and texturing.
What´s inside this barrel? Spinach? :smiley:

Thanks TeckZ, good to hear amused artists here.

Thanks Moni, what’s in the barrell? It could be spinach, but maybe not! You’ll never know untless you blow him down.

Dear Popeye, I´m here to challenge you to a duel!
I know you´re strong but I eat a lot of spinach, too.
And I want to know what´s inside the barrel!
Damn why am I sooo curious?
This could become life-threatening one day. :smiley: