ZBrushCentral

ZBrush Tutorial

I just sent you a private message UB52

If anyone wants it, I can send it to you, with Bob’s permission, I presume, since he posted it. It is 1.2Mb, and I could attach it to an email.

Pretty nifty tutorial there, Bob! Thanks for sharing this info and your time! :+1: :sunglasses: :+1:

And Ken, awesome tutorial! Thank you for sharing YOUR time and info with the rest of us!
:+1: :sunglasses: :+1:

Both of these outstanding pieces of work are worth your time if you’re considering using the applications in this manner!

No problem Nikko. Propogate the info. That’s what it’s all about. Thanks for asking.

Lonnie - I sent you an email with the attached PDF. Did you get it?

• Bob

Hanuman,

I believe you sent me a private message with a request for the PDF. I sent it. Did you get it?

• Bob

Just got that bob, it’s fantastic. I don’t have lightwave but I’ve got pixelstudio3.7 and I hope I can make the techniques work.

It hasn’t shown up yet Bob.

To answer your previous question, Hanuman, regarding bump maps in other apps:

Bump maps do not actually affect the geometry of an object. Instead, it is a trick of lighting that casts highlights and shadows as if the object actually had those bumps on its surface. The result is that the effect is most believeable with parts of the object that face the camera. The closer an edge gets to curving away from the camera, the less convincing the bumps become.

What ZBrush does when you apply an alpha as a mask and inflate to create bumps is the equivalent of a feature found in several of the high end programs called Displacement mapping. This does actually change the object’s geometry during the render process. Unfortunately, it comes at a price since it usually requires a very polygon-heavy object in order for the effect to look good. Also, since it is a render process it naturally adds to the rendering time. In ZBrush, the technique also requires a pretty high mesh density but it does not add to render time.

Mentat7,

I just sent you the file again. Let me know.

• Bob