ZBrushCentral

ZBrush 3 Beta Images/Mark Burgess - subtool experiments

Detail. . .detail. . . detail. . . all I see is countless hours of intricate detail.
Amazing stuff you must be so proud to be an inspiration to others to put more time into detailing.

Congrats :+1:

Boozy,
Iā€™m glad you like them. Yes, subtool groups are retained on export.

vedanta,
Perhaps Iā€™ll do a clothing tutorial after the release of ZB3ā€¦

mrjAnim,
Thanks for your comments, Iā€™m glad you like the work.

This is an attempt to get a clay/terracotta sculpture feel, partly inspired by the work of Houdon. Itā€™s modeled using a sphere (based on a subdivided cube) and Iā€™ve experimented with various of ZBā€™s new brushes. Things start to get a bit iffy behind the ears and the shirt line but all in all the mesh held up well, I think. About 1.8 million polys.

boy.jpg

Can you give us some kind of indication of the modeling time it is taking for each of your modelsā€¦has ZB3 increased your modeling speed significantly? Thanks for your latest post of the child, very inspiring.

vedanta,
Itā€™s difficult to be precise over modeling time because Iā€™ve worked on these at odd moments when I was free from other commitments. Eleanora probably took the longest, perhaps twenty hours, but some of that time was experimenting for the best working method and also drawing a stencil of the dress pattern in Photoshop (which took ages). The boy took the least time, perhaps 2-3 hours.

ZB3 has certainly increased my modeling speed and, perhaps more importantly, freed up my artistic expression. The different approaches and working methods possible with the update are amazing. For example, the ability to sculpt directly using alphas is a tremendous time saver but also makes modeling in ZB a very natural and intuitive experience. The real-time materials greatly add to this feeling: the pictures here are all exactly what I see while working.

Thanks for giving us a look into the magic of ZB3 and it is very heart-warming to see by your work that it doesnā€™t take weeks and weeks of painful modeling time to come up with great work. By all descriptions ZB3 is the closest thing to THE natural artistic experienceā€¦canā€™t wait to try ZB3
Thanks again for displaying your work.

ā€¦classical modeling! :+1:

Hello Pilou, and thank you!

Great work Marcus its refreshing not to see a monster or somethingā€¦

Hello Buckie,
Thanks. Yeah, the monsters are all stuck in the cupboard. I keep the door firmly closedā€¦

Once you are able to talk freely about the differences, I would really like to hear more detail if you have the time to do so.

Thanks.

I will do.

Fantastic! Thank you very much.

Hey there, Marcus - Great cloth work!
What a combination, (as pointed out before) - highly accomplished script/plugin writer, AND skilled modeller/illustrator - the world is your oyster :wink:

I guess with the advent of subtools, there will be a huge rash of clothed, accessorised and decorated characters posted here :slight_smile: Canā€™t wait!

cheers

Chris

EleanorB&W.jpg

Thanks for the comments. :slight_smile:

Rather later than I intended, a bit more about the flexibility of ZBrush3. I guess many people will have realised some of whatā€™s possible having played with the update but I thought Iā€™d add a bit.

The image shows just one way that MatCap materials can add a tremendous amount of flexibility to image making. Iā€™m still experimenting but I think quite a variety of ā€˜natural mediaā€™ effects are possible too. For Toon materials, there is a nice example in this thread.

From a point of view of modeling, whatā€™s great is that you donā€™t have to worry too much how you start, you can get the result youā€™re after in a variety of ways. As demonstrated in this thread, I am a fan of subtools, mostly because I can quickly add elements despite a pretty low-end machine. Some extra functionality is needed, particularly when posing, but mostly this can be achieved with zscripting if itā€™s not added in by Pixologic.

Ultimately Iā€™m keen to test ZBrushā€™s animation capabilities. This may seem silly, given the wide variety of animation software out there but Zbrushā€™s big advantage is its render speed. Certainly features like soft body dynamics would be near to impossible but for certain types of animation (think hybrid 2D/3D cell animation) I believ there is great potential. I hope to post something at ZBC at some stage in the future.

Cheers,

Totally awesome coolness much! :+1: :+1:

I thought you were working for pixo with all those plugins and stuff. :laughing:

Love it!!! :+1: :+1:

Marcus_Civisā€¦

Awsome workā€¦ ! I like very much the Princessā€¦

Congrats :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comments guys!

Amazing clothing details, how many subtools did you use to create this?

Wow. Thanks for sharing. Youā€™ve painted a pretty awesome picture of what matcap can do.

:smiley: :smiley:

fantastic. cant wait for the ruff to come back into style. i can get my neon one out of the dresser. great cloth. i wet myself with the new subtools. great stuff. Z3. not wetting myself.