ZBrushCentral

Z-Brush for Mattepainting-RAINART

Great to see more of this stuff, it all seemed to really take off over the last year or so. Yeah Zbrush and those willing to use it. :wink:

A different genre altogether, a most welcome change. A very well executed
work. More of this please.
KKV

Hi all and Thx you so mush for your comments !!

About question:

++ Trees in the foreground, to be exact: i mixed 2 types of vegetation:
Photo and 3d trees (created with Maya). The next step is a kind of paint over.

++ About my recent project: it’s Assassin Nextgen. (Uebisoft Montreal).
And special project with our collective steambotstudios.

About News, i’m an Adapt’s instructor (Montreal, with my Steambot friends: Vyle, Barontieri etc…) and i’m preparing another 3d Matte with ‘‘full’’ ZBrush !!

Thx all :slight_smile:
Great stuff for all !!

www.rainfx.com
www.steambotstudios.com

Your images are wonderful and really inspiring, as I’m pursueing this kind of pictures recently. I just became your fan :wink:

Cheers

My threads: Tribute to Tsutomu Nihei: http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=34870
Old Man Head: http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=34941

welcome to the forum, your images are great

Hi Sebastien it was nice to meet you at the Concept Art Workshop. It was great to watch how you work and thanks for sharing some of the details here.

im new with zbrush and fairly new with 3d in general. what do u mean by when u said " …then return to 3D with a shader of occlusion and paint over with Photoshop." i really just dont understand occulsion/normal/bump/ etc etc etc maps! its so confusing to me. everytime i read about someones work they mention some other kind of map that they used. can u break it down for me in a nutshell? talk to me like im 12. its the only way ill know what u are saying!! seriously. compare it to something i can relate to since im new…thank u

Bones

Hi ‘‘bones’’…

Well…no very easy to explain that in a ‘‘nutshell’’…so, i try to…

First: the question is ‘‘why’’…i try to find an effective pocess.
Ok, ‘‘occlusion’’ or ‘‘dirtmap’’ … it’s a Shader (3d) render with all 3d package…
I use this shader to fake radiosity (but it’s depend of my matte…) but it’s very effective to save computive time…but you can find another way…like good renderer…personaly i use Mental ray (it is not fastest…but you can try V-ray…i lioke it !! it’s very easy to learn it), and i composite my occlusion pass (same in compositing)…over my mesh…and i paint in photoshop details and other…

second: Bump…it’s just granulosity, relief, details etc…you can find on google many basic tutorial…but it’s don’t use bump with radiosity…you result tightened ‘‘Null’’…lol

Normal mal…just generate normal to create details…personnaly, i create (in zBrush) a Displacement map or i export my object in Maya…(sometimes that is faster to calculate an mesh with many detail subdivisions than a simply object with dislacement map.)

If you want understand all this process…just feel free to go in the zbrush forum and find a doc about mental ray_displace…

I hope that my answer will help you !!

rainart

This is fantastic Rainart, Don’t know how I missed it. And only last night I was pondering if it was possible to get these sort of results out off ZB, for using as backgrounds. And if by design, this thread answers my question.

thank you.:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

I love to see this type of work in movies. Some of the best artwork is actually missed in movies because it fools the eye in thinking it’s part of the scene.

wow! trully beautiful stuff! and exqactly on the subject i love: painting helped by 3d! thank you so much for telling! curious what techniques you used to model shapes like
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/attachment.php?attachmentid=34485

I understand how you made the ground and the tower structure, thats easy to understand. however you never mentioned the sky, did you just paint the sky photoshop? did you actually composite and render this image in ZBrush (using layers) or did you composite it in Photoshop? as far as the trees and the rock textures, did you paint those in or are the a material in ZBrush?

im sorry for asking too many questions im just trying to understand?
Great work and ASSASSIN is the game im waiting for XBOX 360. wooohooo.

thank you…