ZBrushCentral

wip Zandra

Hi Gary,
I’m in Nashua. Great modeling. I tried a method somewhat like this on wings3d. I picked it up on the hobit guy’s website via Bay Rait’s spiraloid website. I see you’ve figured out a similar method. Dave K’s the Hobbit Guy
Keep up the awesome work!

I’ll be very close from canadian border and making snowmobile(not only that) with friends but taking time to admire and respect nature (snowmobile is too noisy for such great landscapes).I’ve been there one time and I really enjoyed it.I can’t say if I prefer your work or your state,they are both great :+1: :+1: :+1:
Are there any mooses and deers around at this period?

hello Gary,

Where did you get the pic a sandra? Can you postthem? I have been looking for some good pics of her.

A big thank you!!!
I eagerly await any information you might be willing to share.
You have no idea of the time,money and effort I have spent just to scratch the surface of this aspect of modelling (the fact it was done in zbrush is icing on the cake)
Hair will be lost and nails bitten in anticipation of your information.
Again thank you.

to all who ask on this method heres a little tut though the model and texturing is incomplete heres the work flow in zbrush
thanks again for any feed back and any ideas or improvements welcome.

1. reference photos on plane tool placed in layers using markers.
  2. text based cube primtive object placed with marker created in notepad divided once and basic out line
    modeling(zintesity set to 50% in draw pointer mode,opacity changes in edit mode).
  3. profile reference.
  4. divided again and further x editing (move> draw size 1)
  5. further modeling checking back and forth profile ect.
  6. deformation>divide>smooth xyz 25%.
  7. look for detail in reference,smooth transitions,cheek,jaw eyes, and shadows.
  8. in transform r mode move model toward and back through plane tool click dragging outside the cursor shows contour
    of front of model and same with profile side layer.
  9. due to hair top of head and ears estimated.
  10. again estimating profile top of head.
  11. using ken brilliants uv mapping method in zbrush create a texture template to be painted in z or exported for editing.
    best to do when model is complete.
  12. texture created using 3d copy
  13. as the model develops.
  14. i used this method,deformation>flatten x(depending on oreintation of model in preveiw window)this allows to use
    the reference without having to see through the model.
  15. edit looking and placing the left cursor directly to the photo,make your(1) edit.
  16. cntrl z x 2 then stroke>replay last,remembering stroke>replay last does just that(remembers i stroke).

the script will auto load the reference photos requested(demo will not allow import) and demostrates the method using sphere.
also a low poly version of model zip if anyone wants to give it a go.
uv mapper for z script again method by ken brilliant and set to script by me, let me know how it works for you
remember orientation in the preveiw window of your model is important for the script to work properly,have funreference modeling.zipuvz mapper.ziplow poly.zip

Many thanks, this obviously was not dashed off in 5 minutes.
Gratitude in abundance.

Ran script after last post.
Did I remember to say thank you.

This looks cool, I’ll give it a shot. Thanks. :+1:

thanks guys and ryter no not 5 minutes but with automate contact sheet in photoshop
tuts are a breeze to compile and working on a script to do so in zbrush will post when complete.

Very interesting method of head modelling in
Zbrush, provided there are accurate reference
pics available. I guess using a digital cam.
could be a good choice. Thanks a lot for
sharing this technique. It’s very helpful and
accurate. I’m sure I will give it a try later
on.
Have a nice weekend! :slight_smile:

This is my last thank you.
Not because I am tired of saying it but because you are probably tired of hearing it.
I bought Zbrush to do the type of work you have illustrated here.
Again I won’t go into the countless hours,programs,books etc.to learn how to do what you have shown.
I have liked zbrush from the moment I saw it, but because of my lack of knowledge felt that this was not the program for my needs.
I have been working with Maya,Lightwave,Carrara,Amapi and the books associated with them and digital in general.
With one tutorial and low poly from you,a great weight has been lifted from my shoulder ( hear that Maya).
One final note: the low poly file you have so generouly offered has so far been used for about 15 different models and photographs ( it has been a long night)
I would suggest to anyone reading this ( primarily the new kids on the block ) to download this immediately. It is and will be invaluable.
To elaborate further if your low poly is layed over a photograph, it can be shaped to that photograph.
I have received my Christmas present early this year.

Thanks for the tutorial Gary - very nice!
An exciting technique - and i didn’t know about the usefullness of the PS contact sheet either :wink:

Ok, Now you have done it!

Now I am going to go and make game charictors insted of game maps tonight!..

LOL that is BEUTIFUL! what an inspireing piece!

I have to go and make some faces now… LOL!!

great work!

That is a “tutorial” indeed :cool:
Bravo!
Pilou

thanks all,and ryter i felt the same way
the more i learn zbrush the less i use
lightwave,amapi rhino its just eaZier.

still working on,modeling, texturing and trying some different methods for hair thanks for viewing.

hair.zip

If I were to have paid a dollar every time I have run your tutorial since downloading it,
you could retire very early.
Your work and a tutorial by Ron Harris have been extremely helpful to me and have changed my approach to something I have been working on.The time and effort it will save me is enormous not to mention not splitting polygon,lathing nurbs,selecting vertices etc etc.
One drawback and plus at the same time.
In programs such as Maya,Lightwave etc,it takes days to find out you know nothing,here I find it out in hours.
Once again, and I do not mind beating this into the ground<My sincere thanks for your help.If I wasn’t sure I liked this program before, I am now
Great Holiday!!!

Sounds gushy.
Did it sound gushy to you?
Sounds gushy to me.
Hate gushy.

Thanks Gary for your didactic and clear tutorial¡¡
Andreseloy